Sunday, November 12, 2017

It's Slow Stitching

When I was young, I did a LOT of stitching.  Making clothes, embroidery on clothes, cross stitching on clothes with waste canvas were second nature to me.

When I went to work full time when Laurie was in 1st Grade, being a full time working mom with a husband who was an over-the-road truck driver, canning and gardening took more time than I actually had.  Hand and machine sewing were put on the back burner.

I have always loved old Crazy Quilts, but not the frau frau pieces with laces and silk ribbon.  I loved the pioneer crazy quilts that were stitched and embellished with beautifully hand stitched seams and motifs.

I never understood the Slow Stitching Movement until now.  That's me...intrigued with hand stitched inchies 10 years after their fad.  Loving the look of Boro stitched fabrics long after "everyone" was talking about it.

I Googled the definition of Slow Stitching and found a few blog posts about it.  It is referred to as stitching a slow project by hand, whether it is cross stitched, quilted, embroidered or appliqued.  It is taking the time to reflect on what you are sewing.  That makes sense to me right now.  Add FOCUS and RESTFUL to the description. Reserving time for me without a break to let the dogs out or do anything for anyone else but ME.  I have much been lacking that in my life, especially now with my grandson's family living with us for the next several months.

So I will not refer to Boro stitching the patches on this jacket anymore.  It is Slow Stitching and it's restful.  Now I will have to find time to machine sew.  Finding quiet time for THAT is more difficult.

I am linking this post to Kathy's Quilts who encourages Sunday Slow Stitching.

Grateful:  Today I am grateful for quiet time used think deep thoughts to better understand myself and others.

Are you able to dedicate quiet time to just think about whatever pops in your mind?  Looking out the window is good for that too!
xx, Carol

14 comments:

  1. It's good that you can do your Boro (which i love) and have it be your slow stitching..it is really, isn't it?
    I mean even sewing on binding by hand is slow stitching. I feel that anything done by hand and not machined is my definition of Slow stitching...I love doing it as i can stop and wool gather....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daily walks give me a good time to spend thinking about nothing and everything. Glad you are allowing yourself this needed quiet time. You have certainly earned the right and deserve the time. I see progress on your boro jacket! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know i don't sew Carol though hand stitching sounds way more appealing to me than machine stitchin... possibly because the machine just overwhelms me....I could see myself hand sewing some day... I usually come to a 'fad' long after its been around for awhile.... its always a concern that i won't be able to find what i want to find at the store etc... because by the time i want it , its gone out of style... Love the thought of you 'slow stitching and taking time for yourself.. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. You are inspiring me to keep with my stitching. I also really like seeing what you're doing. I like slow stitching better for a name too. Much better. I do take walks that help me sort things out. And you're right-looking out windows is wonderful for thought-sorting too.
    Right now I'm grateful for my blog friends. They keep me company out here in this lonely place!(Hubby is working!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,lovely thoughtful post my friend,i didnt know what slow stitching meant know i do,thankyou for sharing your information,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You asked a loaded question...I have time to think...but seems like my mind is so full of other stuff I cannot really concentrate. The dr. ordered Roger a new glucose meter, we have had it since Friday and I have not had time where I felt like I could sit and concentrate and start it going. It really will probably be simple but just want some quiet time when I am fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slow Stitching - I like that. It sounds purposeful. I guess you could I do Slow Beading. I find that when I'm beading I can slip into a meditative space. I'm not thinking anything, just relaxing and enjoying the process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jacket looks great. I do have quiet time every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) It is surprising how satisfying this kind of stitching is. No hurry, busy hands, peaceful mind. I'm grateful for all of those activities that help quiet our too busy minds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, I am loving that name slow stitching-and have not heard that term before-it definately describes it though since modern life is so different now-mostly fast-I enjoy handwork very much although my arthritis hands don't but I have a basket of my hexie project close by so I can pick it up when ever.
    enjoy your week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice stitching, Carol!
    My quiet time is after dinner, when I can sit and do my favourite slow stitching!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left a comment but it seems to have disappeared! Glad you are enjoying your slow stitching and hope you can find more time so you can add in the machine stitching you want to do! Maybe your new granddaughter-in-law to be will want to learn some stitching. My granddaughters do more paper crafts than stitching. I am happy they are being creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your post! You are right........it is not the finished piece that matters most........it is the enjoyment and the process that makes the piece more loved after it is finished!
    Wishing you a very blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.