Sunday, June 4, 2017

Where Do Ducks Go?

The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is look out at the pond.  The other morning, there they were.  Two Mallards that frequently visit and have to be chased away.  I hurried outside to clap my hands, which usually does the trick.  Clap, clap.  WHAT?  All they did was swim to the furthest end and look at me.  Even when I opened the gate to go into the pond area to get closer to them, they just floated there.  When I waved my arms to scare them off, up they flew.  I thought they were going in the direction of the river, but nope.  There they landed right up there on the roof.  No amount of noise or arm flapping could scare them away.

There they sat, patiently waiting until they felt safe enough to return to the water.  Long enough for me to go back into the house and get several pictures.  They looked down at me as if to say they could wait longer than I could.  I went back in to get a cup of coffee, but when I returned, they were gone.

I don't so much mind the ducks in the pond, but I have read different theories about whether they will eat my fish or frogs so I am taking NO chances.  AND they leave horrible "droppings".

We have been spending as much time outside as we can.  It seems that we are only good for about two hours of yard work before we MUST sit in the swing and relax by the pond.  We have watched the Blue Birds select which house they will use for their next brood.  We had a Catbird nest in the Honeysuckle.  Watched a Cardinal pair raise a Cowbird  baby whose egg was left in the Cardinal nest.  Of course the Robin made a nest in an awkward place on the pole that holds the gate to the carport.

Our To Do list this week is to begin putting pea gravel on the walk way around the pond, more weeding, and weather permitting we'll begin to re-fence the side of the yard where the tree destroyed the present fence.  We used to do all that in a day or two.  Now we'll be lucking to have it done in a WEEK or two.

Grateful:  For just so many things, but for reasons I'll probably talk about in the future....to be sharing these days with Terry.  Oh, I know I said when I started listing things I am grateful for that I would not include the obvious, but it's just how I have been feeling lately.

Have you noticed something of Nature lately and taken the time to enjoy it?  I love to hear about it.

20 comments:

  1. I imagine trying to keep ducks out of a pond might be pretty darn difficult Carol. lol They probably didn't fly away right away because they are getting used to you... We have crows that want to get on our platform feeder and scarf everything down... at first the slightest movement from us in the window would scare them away but now it takes more effort... They built up a tolerance for us.. Whatever Alvin and i are working on we try to take our time and do it in small bites... just try to not work as hard and enjoy life a little more... most of the time it really doesn't matter if it gets done today or next week... And i cherish every moment spent with Alvin.. every day is a gift.... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so get not being able to work outside very long and things taking longer to do.

    The heat and humidity have really settled in down here. We are getting some much needed rain and for that I am thankful.

    I am enjoying all of the butterflies, birds, flowers and scents.

    Happy Summer and continue to be grateful, it is good for our bodies, hearts & souls.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might prefer your ducks. ;) We were eating dinner and watched a skunk walk across our backyard along the far fence. (I was very glad it made it's journey about 10 minutes after I came inside from doing yard work in that area!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny about the ducks...when I was working out of BOC HQ in Warren, we had to walk from parking lot to main building and it was covered with GOOSE/DUCK dropings...honestly, I wore tennis shoes into the building then changed to my heels...ugh...we've been or were enjoying our hummers but for some reason they were gone for several days...then one female came back today for a spell..but again..zip..nothing...miss those little buggers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes see the birds and wonder where they go also. Just yesterday I saw two baby ducks with their mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been listening to a house wren a lot...she makes me long for a Carolina wren. I did see my first monarch the other day...

    I am glad you told why you scared the ducks away...I was wondering why. I don't know what they eat so cannot tell you whether your fears are well founded or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing better than sitting by a pond, watching the birds and other critters.. Good for you for taking the time to enjoy the wonders of the natural world...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like lots of nature happenings! It's great to be able to get out and enjoy and work in it but it can get to be too much. I need to mow my tiny yard and I'm wishing I didn't have to. I'm waiting for my energy to come back after being sick with my allergies/sensitivities and it seems to take longer and longer : ( . For your jobs to take a week, well so what? You aren't having to get to a 9-5 job anymore and you've got the summer in front of you (I find the heat saps my energy; don't know about you guys)! Enjoy your "puttering" rather than thinking of it as jobs that have to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so much going on outside this year!! LOTS of rain - which has brought growth everywhere. We've seen flowers bloom where they didn't last year, we've seen so much bright, fresh green. Its been a glorious spring and we're so very thankful for the rain. Life is good... *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have lots of ducks - perhaps that's why we don't have frogs. We recently had a mallard nest under our living room window but something has driven her away and broken her eggs, which is sad. Hopefully, she's made another one and we'll have ducklings and moorhen babies on the pond. I expect it was a fox :( I love watching all the goings on of the birds on the pond and in the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ducks are unpredictable! We were at Disney World not long ago. We sat on a little brick wall to eat some ice cream and a duck flew right over my head, making my hair fly up with wind from his wings. Everyone that saw that it was funny, I thought he was annoying as he landed next to me and just stared as I ate my snack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we are on the same page in The Book Of Life! Although Bruce has gone back to work, he (after 3 weeks of work, work, work) is now ready to relax and go back to working only 30 hours/week and taking his full 3 days off. I love having him home. This morning we worked outside together (for 2 hours - our limit too!). Then we showered and ate lunch at Wendy's. Bruce is now playing with a project on the computer and I am going to go sew. Relaxing - and maybe even a nap - is on tap the rest of the day. These days are precious. We are trying hard to slow them down and wring every moment of pleasure out of them. We are appreciating each other and all the little things MORE. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, but every day we wake up (and don't see our obits in the paper, LOL) is another day to experience and love our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol, I miss your posting. And yes I'm thankful for the peace and quiet here. Nature is all around me and I enjoy watching it. I also thankful I'm still able to work in the yard even if I'm slow about it. One good thing is that it waits for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tree frog chorus has started again. I find it hard to believe those tiny things can make so much noise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each day is so precious - two hours a day is enough to work, and then play or rest together. I hope the ducks don't nest in your little pond - I hope they pick a larger spot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a beautiful pond to relax beside has to be special. We are lucky to have the river just a few feet away from our building and it's wonderful to sit on our balcony and watch the boats throughout the summer. Can't sit out there quite yet though - have to wait for the allergens to be over with first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is good that the ducks left.......they are sweet, but they are also very messy in a pond......
    Nature here is flourishing, baby quail......that look like ping pong balls, in large numbers, follow their parents to the water and feed in our yard. It is amazing to see how both parents keep their eyes on all of these hatchlings!
    Enjoy your outside retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carol ,glad your feathered friends have gone ,don't want them messing up your pond.
    Your pond sounds lovely and restful xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was at a hotel near Disneyland and I saw ducks in the swimming pool! Boy, was that funny to see the staff trying to get them to fly away. You should google what animals ducks are afraid of and get a plastic one and have it by the pond. Maybe a hawk? Obviously a human clapping isn't to scary for them lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those crazy ducks on the roof! What a hoot-or I should say-what a quack!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.