Thursday, May 25, 2017

What The Heck Is THAT!?!

What the Heck Is THIS?  Well, I'll tell you in a minute.

First, thank you for sticking with me as I have been absent for about a month.  Hopefully I will get back in the groove of posting on a more regular basis.  I had a really good routine going.  I would get up each day at about 5 AM to be sure my grandson got up for work, do all my computer stuff like reading and writing blogs, paying bills and catching up on the news.  Then my grandson moved out.  My routine crashed into sleeping until about 8AM.  Then Terry would get up a short time later.  He does that when the dogs wake him up to eat.  For some reason they think they can't eat before he gets up.  Silly dogs.  Then I hate to leave him alone so I do all that computer stuff on the laptop.  I HATE the laptop.  It's Win 10 and does not cooperate with Android apps so posting on he blog is a pain because for some reason I can't move pics around or put the cursor where I want it to be.  So that's my excuse for being gone for a while.

Ok, Now to the story.  One morning about a month ago we went out to the pond.  There in the water was something we have never seen before and we have had a pond for at LEAST 40 years.  It was some tubular looking something that almost looked like Nature's fibrous rope with black specks inside.  So, of course I took a picture after I surmised it must be frog eggs.  OMGosh, yes it was.  About a billion of them that are now all small tadpoles.  Last year we had so many, but they died.  I investigated and found that tadpoles eat algae.  Every year Terry treats the pond to kill leaf debris and algae. This year we never got over to the supplier to buy the treatment so we have decided to find out what will happen when all these frogs grow legs.  I wonder if there is a market for frogs, lol.

There are other things going on around this house and I'll let you know all about them.  Hope you come back to see what's up.  

Today I am grateful for all things nature, especially for my frogs.  I share a lot of time with them.

What's new with you?  Have you ever watched frogs grow?

18 comments:

  1. Well that 'something' turned out to be a fun find. Welcome back and I hope you share more as the tadpoles grow into frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lagoon here for waste disposal and we get lots and lots of frogs and toads. I don't venture to the lagoon to look for obvious reasons and besides it is covered in algae but we see them everywhere around. There is one sort of toad that must excrete something that makes the dogs drool like crazy. I don't have the fascination with them that you do but I do enjoy seeing them around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to more posts! I use Windows 10 and have no problem posting to my blog??? My pics are uploaded to google photos so easy to select ones for my blog. How is your leg/foot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see you Carol.. you have been missed! Frogs!!! How exciting!! Yes i do have a frog..well tadpose memory....You know .. sooooo long ago when i was a kid i was allowed to roam more than the kids can safely today...I was a tomboy, nature kind of kid so i was often in the field or forest... no one seemed to mind that i was on their property... and i would wander for miles... mom couldn't have found me easily if she wanted to...Well in this farmers field was a pond and i was poking around the pond keeping an eye out for cows when i saw frog eggs!!!! Well... I walked the mile or two home .. got a bucket walked back to the pond .. scooped out some frog eggs and dragged that bucket all the way home.... Needless to say i was more happy with my bucket of frog eggs than mom was... I kept them until they hatched.... I remember the fun of watching them develop in the egg and finally hatching.. checking on them each day... When they hatched i lugged that bucket all the way back to the pod to let them go....

    So good to see you post and hear that everything is well with you... I know what you mean about getting out of routine... Hubby retiring really through kinks into my morning routine that i have yet to recover from... lol I still haven't found a new routine that feels... welll...right... if you know what i mean.......Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they are in a rope, I think they are toads! I need to go look that up...I know toad and frog eggs are different. Yep, go here and look...toads are in the strands/ropes and frogs spread out over top of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say frogs legs taste like chicken, but don't believe it! OMG! You are going to have a loud chorus of frogs before you know it. When I was growing up in SoCal, my brother had a pond in our backyard and it happened to be placed under the family room window. We didn't have A/C back in those days - you just opened windows for a cool breeze in the evenings. One summer those frogs were so loud that we could only hear the TV if it was blaring!! True story. Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome about the frogs. Yes there is a market for them but you might want to check out your area for what. Like the vet or the local pet store. I am an early bird. I don't think I have sleptin in years. 6AM and I am running late. LOL Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your frogs! :-) I get them here in the large bird bath.

    Have a nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to watching your tadpoles grow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides quilting, my other passion is nature, so yes, I love frogs, from eggs to adults! Good for you for spotting them! I can relate to your laptop woes. I bought a new one a couple of years ago and I hate it to. For all the same reasons and more! I have to really psych myself up to boot it up and do a blog post. (They made them better...ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the reminder of what frog eggs look like! When I was a little girl on the farm we had a spring-fed pond and every year I brought some of the eggs home to watch them hatch into tadpoles (also called pollywogs in our neck of the woods) and then into frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well ... I guess you could throw a frog legs barbecue party! They won't all mature, because there's a limited habitat, but I have visions of frogs sitting on every surface near your pond! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol good to hear from you,thats interesting about the frogs i didnt know that,we have a dam and get lots of frogs up there xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never watched frogs grow. I haven't seen a tadpole in many years.
    Are you still working on your temperature afghan?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes-I love frogs. I do hope your guys will help out with the pond algae. It's fun to watch tadpoles grow. I loved catching them when I was a kid, and keeping them for a few days in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carol,
    Very interesting reading what everyone has to say about frogs. Polliwogs is not a word I'd heard of! And I didn't know that tadpoles eat algae! I now know we have frogs not toads.
    We have masses of tadpoles every year ..... it's natures way of making sure some survive ...... they have so many predators! We also have newts and dragonfly larvae in our pond ..... both eat tadpoles!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you overrun with frogs yet? I haven't seen tadpoles for years...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is funny how one change, like getting up at a different time, has such a knock on effect on everything else. I think your frogs are welcoming you back into the garden after your operation :) I hope you will have lots of frogs this year. We don't have frogs in our pond but when I was a child we used to get frogspawn from the river and release the frogs back after they'd hatched in a fish tank in our living room. Probably that's not a proper way to treat frogs...

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.