Tuesday, February 7, 2017

An Update on my SIL.. and thank you

See how mad Snoopy is?  That's how I am feeling about several things right now.  I have been mentioning My SIL Marcella on my blog.  A lot has happened since I last posted about her just a week or so ago.  Remember she went to IU Medical Center for a second opinion on her cancer treatment.  Let me back up here just a little.

The doctor that WAS treating her is the same one that treated my FIL.  Terry and I never agreed with the treatment he recommended, as other family members did or didn't.  It was not our decision, it was my FIL's.  When Marcella was first diagnosed, she went under the care of that same doctor.  He owns a cancer treatment center here in South Bend.  Chemo, Radiation and meds are all received through his Center.  Somehow that does not seem correct to me....but I'll move on with this story.  The Center removed a cancerous spot and lymph node...oh, so she thought!  She went on to receive Chemo...no radiation.

When she went to IUMC for the second opinion, she had tests and saw a Doc who told her they would be able to give her medication to keep her comfortable.  They found sources to pay for the treatment.  That doc took Marcella's case to their board after so they could review the tests etc they had taken.  There are several things that are still in review.  Let me tell you...the first doctor did not remove the cancerous lymph node and it was broadcasting cancerous cells to other parts of her body.  The Chemo doc didn't catch that and he SHOULD have.  What a fiasco.  She is so joyous I didn't talk to her about if there were something legal they should be doing about THAT.  Anyway, she is going to have surgery as soon as it is scheduled.  I'm not sure what exactly they will remove.  She is on medication that will encircle the spots that won't be removed but will keep them from growing and should reduce their size.  We have always heard that IU was one of the best places to go for cancer treatment.  Our hospital in Goshen's cancer treatment is affiliated with IU.  We wanted her to go there from the beginning, but she had faith in Dad's doc.  She went through a lot of pain and suffering both physical and mental only to find out she was not getting proper care.

I have no further comment about what I shared with you above....frankly I don't know what to say or how I should be feeling about it.

Now, for the thank you!!  I am using our laptop to type this post.  It drives me crazy.  Sometimes I don't touch anything and the curser jumps somewhere I don't want it to be.  It is so annoying.  Not sure if it's to do with windows 10 or the laptop.  I have received and read every one of your past comments.  I usually like to respond to each one.  That is so easy when I receive a notification of your comment in my gmail.  But when I have to read them from the comments section of my dashboard, I would have to go back to gmail to type the email to you and this danged laptop does not cooperate too well.  So THANK YOU so much for all your comments and well wishes.  If you didn't receive a personal response, it was NOT because I didn't care.  I appreciate all that read my posts, whether you comment or not.

Be well.

Thankful....well so many things, but today I am especially grateful for my two doctors...Dr. James Reidy and Dr. James Flynn.  I love those guys!!

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about all the health issues going on with you and with family members....It is very hard when you feel so helpless-or don't agree with the treatment being given. I hope your recovery will be perfect-and that you'll be up and about soon. It will be spring again! And then you can get outside and enjoy the birds and flowers...Take care.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very confusing for Marcella and your family, Carol. What's done is done, and now the most important thing to hope for is better health going forward. Nothing is worth more than that. I hope you are doing better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is getting harder and harder to get/find doctors who are not over worked and who are willing to take the extra time needed for difficult cases. They just want you to swallow a pill and be done with you. It makes me afraid for all of us as we age. I wish your SIL all the best and hope she finds a good healing treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about what your dear SIL has had to go through. I hope her surgery and treatments take care of things.

    Be well/calm dear heart, in mind, soul and body ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear your SIL is getting proper care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your SIL's surgery goes well and that you can all be confident in the care she receives going forward. Also that your foot is getting better. I'm keeping you both in my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear Carol what a nightmare hope everything is ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness - that is such a scary thing. You're supposed to have trust in your doctors and to find that they are not doing what they should is downright wrong. I hope the new medical team will be able to help your SIL and look after her properly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope the new doctors can help her a lot. You have to keep on top of the doctors and that is so hard because they are supposed to be the experts! Wishing her the best of luck and hoping your foot is healing quickly too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Carol

    I am really appalled at your sister-in-law's treatment, and hope that all gets sorted out very soon. There are some very good doctors out there, as you know, but some who don't quite go the extra mile.

    However, I'm as pleased as you are that she's now receiving the right treatment, and hope and pray for a full and speedy recovery.

    Please give Marcella our very best wishes.

    Hazel Anderson
    Sunderland, England

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope your sister in law will come through all this OK and be a survivor. What a shambles with the original doctor! As for laptops, I don't have much joy with them either. I have my old desktop computer set up in a computer hub in my kitchen and it is my computer of choice, I can handle my tablet too but laptops and I just don't get on too well. Hope the recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoW! How awful for her to go through all this. Let us know how she does, please.
    Thanks for reading my blog. I dont get as many responses to it as I had hoped.
    My five kids get it in their email and response to it that way, email.
    I did reply to you on it. So, thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  13. What happened to your SIL is just horrible. Thankfully, she is at a place that provides better care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so hard to know the right thing to do treating cancer. My friend here had chemo, radiation; was given good results (lung tumor shrunk from 6cm to 2; bone cancer was gone and bone healed; went for CAT and PET scan and found out (was given written results WITHOUT hearing from the Dr. a week later) that tumor was now in pancreas! WTF! No one called her...she just stopped by x-ray office and asked for results! GRRRRRR now she has to go back through chemo on a stronger dose. So depressing. Best of luck to your SIL...I feel for her and your family. We feel like we are not able to do anything for our friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and your family can't seem to catch a break. This past year has been one terrible fiasco after another. Know that you and yours are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know what to say...I would be feeling confused. Cause drs are human...and mistakes can be made. My FIL was treated for skin cancer at IUPUI back years ago....they were so, so good to him. I know skin cancer does not sound like much...specially when it is basal cell, but he let it go and let it go...I won't go into detail. Not the kind of details you want to hear right now....

    I hope all goes well for her...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have so many things going on, don't even think about answering. I just want you to know that I'm with you and praying for you and your SIL. I'm so glad she's going to get the help she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry your SIL did not get proper treatment the first time around. Glad she's getting better care now. Hope you are continuing to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad she got a second and different Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry. How frustrating! I am glad she is receivng good care now.

    As for the jumping cursor, mine does the same thing. On my last laptop, there was a way to have the built in mouse stop working when an external mouse was attached and that solved the issue. With this one, all of the computer experts in my home have tried to find a similar setting and failed. The cursor jumps and/or the size of the screen will suddenly increase from 100% to 125%. It's maddening. I hope you are able to solve your issue! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been away but have had you and your SIL in my prayers. How should you feel right now? Thankful that your SIL is with the right doctors and care. I know how frustrating it is, I went through the same thing with my mom. Your SIL is in good hands now and that is where your energy should go. She is lucky to have you in her life. I know you are a great support for her. Hugs dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness.... so much going on! I don't think a person who cares for cancer patients should OWN the place. Of course your not going to get the right treatment, your going to get whatever treatment THEY provide. Geez! That should be against the law. I hope things turn around for her and that she can get healed. Eiy-eiy-eiy....
    I hope your recovery from your operation is improving :-) Nothing like being laid up to really make a person fussy! or is that just me!
    big hugs!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.