Monday, January 23, 2017

The Crud and Other Stuff

Oh Geez.  Corey brought it in the house.  You know, that BUG.  The one that sneaks down your throat and makes your throat feel like it's been slit with a razor.  Then it moves on up to your sinuses and makes your head and face feel like it's stuffed with cotton.  I won't even mention what it does to your LUNGS!

Thank you Corey.  Luckily your Papa put some kind of shield around him...or maybe that's garlic around his neck!!

So before I got this visitor, I sandwiched Laurie's quilt.  I made a stencil of a cupcake.  I'm going to try to stitch a cupcake on each block.  We'll see how that goes. I didn't feel like taking a pic of the backing I stitched.  It is blocks the same size as the top.  I used a few of the leftovers from the top and cut more from the pink cupcake material.  I also have that material in brown so I cut blocks from it as well.  I'm not sure when I will commence the quilting, but probably while I am recuperating from surgery.

This week I have several appointments.  I haven't mentioned that I will have surgery on the "Giant" toe on my right foot.  That's what they call your big toe when they order xrays.

Basically I am having a lot of pain in the joint of my big toe.  If you have seen a bunion, what I have looks like a bunion growing on TOP of that joint AND between the 1st and 2nd joint.  There are also two little bones on the bottom of that joint that have arthritis and are causing pain and my toe to grow to the right.  It is a hereditary thing and usually only effects one foot. The pain causes me to walk on the side of my foot which is causing even more pain in my ankle and knee.  So next Tuesday I am having surgery to remove the growth on the bones and to make the joint immobile which will keep the toe from growing totally to the right.  My sister has this condition.  I'll tell you it's painful and darned right painful to look at too. After surgery I will have to keep my foot elevated higher than my heart for two weeks to control swelling that could break open stitches.  Then I will be on crutches for another 4 weeks.

Thankful:
Today I am thankful that I have insurance and am able to have this surgery.  My SIL who has cancer was told my her insurance company that they will NOT cover the medication that her doctor has prescribed to keep her cancer in check.

23 comments:

  1. Sorry about you having the crud and hope you are soon well from it.

    I hope your surgery goes well also and that your foot will feel much better afterwards.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your surgery goes well! It is so awkward to have anything wrong with our feet--much less serious pain in the big toe. We take our feet for granted, forgetting how our mobility depends on healthy feet. I hope you have plenty of cupcakes to quilt to keep you busy as you recover, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that sounds so painful. Hmmm will you be able to type upside down? Probably not! You know I wish you all the best and hope that you aren't in too much pain over the next few weeks. After that you can go dancing!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. For such an 'advanced' civilization we don't seem to have progressed too far - GRRRR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that sounds so painful. Hmmm will you be able to type upside down? Probably not! You know I wish you all the best and hope that you aren't in too much pain over the next few weeks. After that you can go dancing!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. For such an 'advanced' civilization we don't seem to have progressed too far - GRRRR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol - sending positive vibes your way for a successful and quick procedure on your foot. I'm so sorry about your SIL's situation with insurance. That is awful! I hope she can find some way to get the medicine she needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol oh dear i do hope you are pain free soon that foot looks very sore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry, Carol! But it seems you stored up finished projects before the bug hit. I haven't needed foot surgery as lesser treatments helped when needed, but I would have agreed if it was the only answer. Best wishes as you go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bug sounds awful. I hope you are soon feeling better and that your foot quickly recovers from the surgery. I'm very sorry and also shocked to hear your SIL's insurance won't cover the medicines she needs. I really hope some way around that can be found but I don't know if that's even possible. I am most extremely grateful for our National Health Service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard more folks with your 'visitor'!! I sure don't want the company!!! Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! Get lots of hand work ready to have beside you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear - you and I have had the same disease and I SO feel for you!! So sorry you have to have surgery on your toe - be sure you have lots of interesting stitching handy, along with some good books (and perhaps some bonbons and a beverage of choice too). Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope all goes well with the surgery and the after-surgery recovery and rehab.

    In Japan everyone has to have insurance. The cost of national health insurance is based on how much money you made the previous year. This is such a better system than in the US. If I had the same medical issues I've had this year here, in the US, I would not be able to afford the same care. I'm sure I wouldn't be taking the same cancer drug because of the cost. With Trump as president, I don't expect the insurance situation to improve!

    Here's to a pain free quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, the joys of winter. Those sore throats are the worst. One cannot do anything but focus on the pain which will not be alleviated no matter how much supposedly soothing tea you drink or how many cold meds you try.
    I feel for your upcoming surgery. I had bunion surgery on both feet and was on crutches as well. Your condition sounds even more painful than just a plain old bunion. Praying that the surgery fixes everything and relieves your pain. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so sorry you are suffering with the bug, hope it passes quickly. Being sick is no fun at all. Glad you have a quilting project to keep yourself occupied! Best wishes for a successful foot surgery, hope it goes well and you recover quickly. Crutches in winter doesn't sound easy. Will be thinking of you! I hope you have everyone lined up to wait on you hand and foot. Especially foot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you're feeling better! Good luck with your surgery! Est wishes for a quick recovery! XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your bug and your toe/foot bone problems. But I'm thrilled you can get it fixed. As far as insurance companies go, f*** them. What is your sister going to do? May your surgery be trouble-free and your recovery swift. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the bug and the surgery. I know after it heals you will be doing so much better. WTH is wrong with our insurance in America? I have heard this from other cancer patients too. I will pray all things work out for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. glad you are better , Insurance is sorry now! My sis got a policy that was 800.00 a month and 6000.00 deducible. That's not insurance. My aunt has to pay for her cancer meds to, she is 83 and had to go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with the surgery...all in all it sounds painful. Happy thoughts going your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you have a lot of stuff going...I sure hope the surgery goes well and that it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hopefully, the insurance issue will change for the better....I do hope and pray your own medical stuff will be easy on you-and that you will heal up quickly....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck with your surgery. I'm so sorry you had that terrible crud! So many people I know have had it, and it just hangs on and hangs on. I hope yours is over.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Prayers and lots of best wishes for the surgery and the days after. Read lots of books when you're recovering :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praying you have a swift recovery.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.