Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Ta-Ta to Summer 2016

This summer got off to a great start for us.  We had super ambition for yard work and started to whip the pond area into what we wanted it to be.  However, the Universe has a way of throwing curves just to see how you react and observe how you bounce back.  Well, we can bounce pretty high.  July and August kind of fell off the calendar due to my FIL illness and passing.  We took time to rest and reflect.  The Universe said you did good, but here's another bump..no HILL  in the road.  She sent a 5 minute storm with 50 MPH wind gusts that blew down 1/4 of my favorite tree.  We need to take the entire tree down now and Corey did what he could to see that happen.  However, there is another part that is over our fence and back gargage and it too high to climb to cut.  There is no way into our back yard for a cherry picker so I'm not sure how we will complete the cutting down part.  But as you might guess, the removal part has been a huge job for Terry and his brother.  Corey has helped a lot when he is available.

Gosh I love my frogs.  I wake up everyday and go out to see them and feed the fish.  I believe I have 7 frogs ranging from very young to the pretty darned large parents.  This is a picture of what I like to call one of the frog rides in the frog amusement park.  The fish get under the alligator head and move it around and this little guy just sits there with a big froggy smile.

Our pond has been a blessing this summer.  A place to rest and reflect.  Terry and my conversations have been about just about everything you can imagine.  He is missing his father so much and we have talked a lot about all aspects of death  and what happens after someone leaves this earth.  Terry's dad had a real fear of death and did not want to let go.

His sister just completed Chemo and is cancer free.  But when the surgeon removed the tumor, he also removed cancer cells they did not know that she had.  Her doctor tells her the cancer will return...somewhere.  Her options are to do nothing...take radiation...take chemo pills for the rest of her life which cause her so much illness.  She has opted to do nothing and take her chances.  It's a hard thing to hear and pray for her.

My daughter is moving, yet again.  She has been renting a house from the Church she attends.  The Church building has been for sale and the idea was that when it sells she would be able to buy the house she is renting.  Yet another dart tossed out from the Universe...the Church sold and they buyers want to buy the house.  Laurie will move this weekend to a house she will have the opportunity to buy...the closing is today.  She chose to rent to own for the first year.  It's a nice house in a quiet neighborhood, but quite a bit farther from work and in a different town than where she lived.  The option to rent for the first year and beyond is probably good so she can see if she likes it.

I am done sorting fabric.  I am getting rid of a lot of things in my room that I have been keeping for no good reason.  Each time you do this, it gets more and more easy.  I have decided what my first quilt will be and what fabrics I will use.  It will be a VERY EASY project.  The objective is to use fabric and enjoy what I am doing, so with my present state of mind I need to keep it easy.

Got a favorite really easy beginner quilt pattern?  Let me know.  I'm interested!!
xx

19 comments:

  1. I hate that summer is over. You had/have a lot going on. Hopefully things will settle down for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mess that huge tree made. I've done a lot of sorting lately. I truly wonder why I hang on to so much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol, life in your house sounds familiar. Curves being thrown by the universe sounds like the definition of life. You made me wonder how we would handle trees that cannot be accessed if they needed to come down. They get old in our woods and die, they have a life cycle like every living thing. Best wishes for your sister in law. She is very brave. And your daughter who has to move will do well, the younger ones always seem to land on their feet. For my first quilt, I found the "Rail Fence" pattern easy. It's the cutting and sewing together of strips, cutting them into blocks and sewing them together in a different configuration. Easy peasy. Google "Rail Fence" quilt pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life....... I've heard theres only one thing certain in life and thats change... nothing stays the same... guaranteed....I tend to look at the phrase in a bad way... as i'am not too fond of change... once i get things the way i like them i like things to stay status quo .... I have to remind myself about the flip side of that .... that if things are not how i like them because of rocks... bumps... hills... that that will change too... for the better.... I'm so sorry to hear all that your and yours are going thru Carol... There must be brighter days ahead.. i really do believe that.....

    You know i don't sew...lol But! When visiting my MIL back in TX in the Spring we picked up some old quilts of hers and wouldn't you know it the one i loved the best all but disintegrated in the washer . Its what i believe is a log cabin patteren?? If you want i can take a picture of it...as some survived... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. For quilt projects especially for giving away and easy I totally love the turning 20 original pattern-they have several others now out now but I never cared for but the original is so easy-they are 10 inch blocks I think-I bought tons of mens cottons shirts from resale shops and turned them into quilts for guys-they all totally loved them-easy border or not-and you end up with a huge quilt I was looking for a photo to show you I see they have the pattern online now http://www.easyfreepatterns.com/turning-twenty-quilt-printable-patterns.html I have made allot of quilts with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot to handle for one summer. I look forward to seeing your quilt as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much happens in our life cycle...hope and prayers for your SIL....such a hard decision to make and harder yet for those around her as well! Love the pic of the frog...sitting on a 'gator'? So cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a pattern for a really easy baby quilt. You could just amend it and make the squares bigger and more of them. It gives you all the instructions on how to make it from beginning to end. here is the link.
    http://www2.fiskars.com/Ideas-and-How-Tos/Crafting-and-Sewing/Quilting/How-to-Quilt
    I made my one and only quilt using these instructions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol so much happening in your family,sorry your daughter didnt get the chance to buy the house she was in ,sending you a big hug .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not realize the tree was that big. Hope you have a fireplace. Love the pond, would like to have one. Too many critters here though. Enjoy this fall weather.
    Hope we have an easy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to sort out fabric too, and always tell myself that I will NOT replace it! SO far the drawers where I keep the fabric are full!! Another sorting is called for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pond sounds like a blessing of peace. What happens if you just leave the part of the tree that seems impossible to get to? I know someone a couple of streets over who lost half a tree and finally cut it down, and new branches are growing out of the stump that's left! That happened to us once when the electric company left about a six foot trunk standing, too. Maybe yours would also regrow branches?

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! youve had a lot on your plate... so much to deal with. life is just plain difficult sometimes.. for everyone. As for the quilt, Ive never made one either and think about it often.. lol! Not sure I ever will.. I dont like long term projects! lol!
    have a great weekend and Happy OCtober!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've certainly had one thing after another this year, Carol, but it's always an inspiration to see how you face up to life's challenges and, of course, a delight to see your frogs. I do hope the universe is going to give you a peaceful and happy Autumn/Winter and some time to relax and enjoy your quilt making :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Carol, Life tends to even out the highs and lows, so perhaps 2017 will be a great year. Good luck to your SIL, but why didn't she try a little bit of radiation? That doesn't make one sick too, does it? Anyway, for an easy quilt I would suggest either a simple Rail Fence or a Disappearing 9-patch. Check out some of the great tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Company's You Tube channel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Carol. My condolences to you and Terry. It is never easy to lose someone we love. I have enjoyed reading this post and how much you have endured. Your pond is wonderful. We have a pond and I named it Reflections...where I love to sit and ponder the world and all it offers. I am sorting and purging and you are right about it getting easier. I don't quilt but I am looking forward to seeing what you create. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, you certainly have had a load of troubles this year, Carol! Hopefully the next one will be better!
    I've only made one quilt, which was a bit complicated!
    A disappearing nine patch looks fairly easy .... I'm sure you would find one on Pinterest! Looking forward to seeing what you make!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carol, it's been way too long since I have visited your blog, and I am so sorry I missed this post. My condolences on the passing of your father in law. He was lucky to have you and Terry in his life. Some years are tougher than others, and seem to throw a lot at us. Hoping 2017 is better for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.