Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My Favorite Gift Ever



In my last post I mentioned that I would post about the most favorite gift I ever received from Terry.  Did you have any guesses about what it might be?  Well there have been plenty of intangibles, that's for sure.  If you were guessing and thought it might be a diamond, a car, or any other expensive gift you would be so wrong.


I have always sewn.  When Laurie was little I mad a LOT of her clothes and my own as well.  Back then, I never even knew a presser like this was available.  I used to tell Terry about a ironing contraption that my aunt had.  Honestly it was something from the ringer washer era.  It was a MUCH larger version of the pictures I am showing.  Her's was so wide that she placed sheets that were folded in half on it and pressed them that way.

My first presser was a Singer.  I don't even remember where Terry bought it, probably at a Singer store. I used it for years until one day I switched it on and it smoked. It was dead.  Terry encouraged me to buy another one as soon as possible.  I think I found this one...a Steamfast...on Amazon.

I mentioned that I am washing and pressing my fabric stash.  I certainly have come across fabrics I forgot I had and wonder what I had in mind when I bought them.  Oh, I mean that in a good way.  I haven't found an ugly one yet!  But I wonder if I had a project in mind, or did it just catch my eye and the price was right.  You may look at the picture here and think "what the heck was she thiiinnnnking".  I don't think that at all.  The picture does not show how bright the aqua is in this piece.  I suspect the animal print attracted me to it.  Also the color combo.  Now it really reminds me of the 60s.  These two main colors were the rage back then.  I remember having a princess waist dress with these colors and I LOVED it. (So much that I can actually remember THAT far back, lol.)

So tell me.

Do YOU have a favorite gift ever?
Do you have fabrics that you can't remember what project you had in mind when you bought it?
Do you have fabrics that just make you happy to look at?

Thank you my bloggy friends, for continuing to blog, visit blogs, and comment.  I appreciate you all.
xx, Carol













16 comments:

  1. What a COOL contraption!!! I love it and wonder if all quilters shouldn't have one *smile*. Yes I've often gone through my fabric stash and wondered 'what was I thinking'. Other times I go through and think "oh, I love this, why haven't I used it" -- which probably means I have too much stash around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes-I have a stack of fabric that I think I can remember why I bought it~but even if that thought won't be put into actual use-I still love the fabric....Heaven knows I do NOT need more fabric, but those JoAnn coupons keep me going back for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used a press but they would really be ideal for a quilter-I have this tiny wooden vintage iron board I use and it takes awhile to press a backing for sure.
    My all time favorite fabrics have been the late 1700s and 1800s reproduction fabrics I just love the earthy colors and everything about them-

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I could use one of those! I'd use the heck out of it. My favorite gift is also useful--the Roomba which does a lot for keeping the house relatively clear of cat hair from the Triad. :) There have been other wonderful gifts, but the Roomba vacuums everyday, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't really seen this type...how cool!! I was thinking you got a mangle (per my last comment)...I might have to look for one of these too! Nice!!!! And I would much prefer this to a diamond! I don't wear them anyway around the house! HA

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun you're having, going through your stash! Those ironing pressers were very popular here in the 70s and 80s but I don't see ads for them in more recent times...probably because the younger generation don't seem to iron! 😉. My friends who quilt a lot more than I do, have been buying the Olisio irons, the latest 'must have' for serious crafters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your great gift. I guess mine would be my Janome HD got for me last Christmas. He even wen and picked it out, so it was a total surprise. And yeah I actually doing the stash thing now. I had two shelves from a bookstore that fit behind doors in closet perfectly and have folded most of stash to fit them. I have come across quite a few "what was I planning for these". And now I'm wondering what will I do with these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice gift. Terry is a keeper...but you really do not need me to tell you that :)

    Looking around at some of my stash I can honestly ask "What the heck was I thinking?" I'm glad you don't have that reaction to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need one of those...LOL I have many pieces of fabric bought in the dark distant past that I have no idea why I bought them.Some are really a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, to all of those. =) I can see several possibilities for that fabric. Turned sideways, it would make a great landscape with a rocky river running through it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, a nostalgic trip down memory lane with this post. There was never a presser in my house, but I wonder if my Mom pressed sheets with her iron. She surely had a wringer washer! I recall those 60s colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a great present - so much better than ironing. I have a bad habit of buying fabrics because I like them just to look at but then not wanting to cut them up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol what a great present i have never used one of these,lovely fabric xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so nice when somebody KNOWS you isn't ..... great job Terry! Like i'd much rather have a tube of paint or a paint brush or colored pencils.. than flowers, diamonds and the like...

    Bright colors make my heart sing ... i like the colors in your photo... i like bright pink and orange together too... throw in a little yellow...YUM!

    I don't have alot of fabric.... i have not sewn much in my life... although as you know one day i will make some pillows and tote bags...lol with my sewing machine that is still in the box...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I do remember the old Mangle Iron. My mother had one that was very large and resided in a hallway closet. Mom would sit in front of it and press away. Yes, we also had a wringer washing machine and we hung our washing out on a clothesline. I do remember the 60's and I do have fabrics that make me happy. Many of the clothes I sewed for myself and daughter are long ago donated but I still remember my very favorites. This post is fun and interesting...thank you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How much I love your post........the presser looks wonderful! Yes......I have fabric that I have bought for projects......and didnt get them done.........and then there is fabric that is so pretty, I dread to cut it. LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.