Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Nine Down, Three To Go


OMGosh, I am finally getting back to stitching.

I wanted to sew.  Thought about it a lot when I couldn't.  Even bought new fabric.  That always gets the juices flowing.

Where was my focus? It really took me 2 days to get my mind to pay attention to what I needed to do. I read the instructions more than twice and still cut the wrong sizes from the wrong fabrics, then cut again. I laid out the pieces to form the block.  Stitched a few only to find I stitched the wrong sides together on a couple of them.  HOW DID I DO THAT?!? I thought I was paying close attention to the task at hand. Somehow before I knew it my focus was back.  The block went together easily.


This is the block for Lesson 9 of Kathy Shawl's traditional quilt class. The triangles are stitched on a paper grid.  I kind of liked that when I was stitching the grid. But in the end I really like just stitching squares into triangles without the paper.  But I like the finished block and like the fabrics I chose.

The pieces in my scrap piece box are slowly growing. For sure a scrap quilt is in my future.  The next lesson is a Dresden Block.

The one big thought I have after stitching this block is that I NEED a dedicated cutting table.  Not the dining room table.  Since lack of space is an issue I'm going to be working on an idea  to have a table that can slide under my sewing machine table that I can slide out when I need it. Maybe something like the keyboard tray on my computer desk.  I'll put Terry right on it!! LOL.


14 comments:

  1. I admire your determination to keep at it until you finally got it done correctly. I would have said it's jinxed and tossed it all out lol... I never blame myself *wink* lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Focus is imperative, isn't it? I can't tell you how many times I've stitched wrong sides together! I have a cutting table, but I stack everything on it and have to clean it off to use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me giggle Carol. I've been making quilts and quilt blocks for at least 20 years, and still make the same mistakes you did! If you haven't learned the shortcut for triangles, called the "half square triangle", Google for it. It's so easy, and in the end you have made two sets at once. Isn't it interesting how needs grow as we get more into something? I use an old drafting table for cutting. It's the exact same size as a 36" cutting mat. I love the fabrics and colors in this block, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that block! It’s gorgeous! Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block looks great, very distinctive color arrangement, love those blues. Hope you do get a dedicated cutting table, it helps if only because you don't have to clear it off every time you want to eat dinner! I'll bet Terry will be able to come up with something perfect for you.

    I left a comment on your last post but it must have gotten lost. I hope your father in law is resting comfortably. The hospice people are angels from what I hear.
    Snakes are good to have in a garden, they eat slugs and other pests. But they can be rather startling to come across one as you did. I'm glad you didn't kill it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol oh dear what a shame ,so glad you persevered ,your block looks fantastic,well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having that right workspace is a necessity isn't it! I have an issue with my dogs laying on my table next to my machine! Sure causes problems.....I've even worked on the floor because I don't want to bother them! HA You did a very nice job on your block...good workmanship there lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This block is striking. I really like the fabrics you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your slide out would work! Or a skinny table that has a fold-up leaf, maybe. You'll figure it out. Love the block and the fabrics you chose. You're way ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the table idea, I need one for ironing. Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love your fabric choices too. By the way-I loved your comment on my blog, and I'm a new follower of yours-us fellow bird lovers must unite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous block. I love the colours. I'm glad you're having time to sew again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - great idea on the table. I hope you'll show it to us after its up and working. I keep wanting to downsize and something that was hidden away except when I needed it would be a perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this one! I like the pattern itself, but *really* like the colours you chose! A dedicated cutting table is a definite bonus. When we moved into this apartment, the first thing I brought was my cutting table and made sure it had a space before I moved in any other furniture. Mine is a vintage small kitchen table (I think it might have once had a metal top) that Jack put up on blocks for me so it's the right height to work comfortably. I'm tall so having something that high makes it so much easier on my back.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.