Monday, June 13, 2016

Traditional Quilt Class Task #4 Completed


This is the second pattern block (Task #4) that I completed for the on line class that Kathy Shaw is conducting. It looks wonky here but it really isn't.

It is 1/4 inch smaller than it is supposed to be, I looked to see what I did to make it wrong.  This is a great learning experience for me.  I suspect that most of the issue with this block was caused when I "pressed the seams on the three stip piece that was cut into small pieces.  I "ironed" rather than "pressed" the seams.

I gave the first mug rug I made to my sister-in-law Marcella.

I made two of these mug rugs for my other sister-in-law Sharon.  See the cats?  You might think she loves cats.  Well, I guess she probably DOES.  Sharon and her husband live in our neighborhood, as most of the DeLater's do.  For years Sharon has fed feral cats.  She also takes them to the vet to have them neutered.  She has  taken two into her home to be inside cats, though I have never seen them.  NO ONE has, except Glenn and Sharon.  Those cats hide as soon as someone comes to the door.  Sharon always has cute cat stories to tell us. I know she is going to love these mug rugs.

So far, I am loving learning how pieces to create blocks are created.  My slow start on new Tasks is cutting procrastination.  Not that I am scared to cut, I do need quiet time to do it which can be hard to come by in my house!!

11 comments:

  1. I never had much luck getting measurements correct when quilting! This is lovely! Glad you are enjoying your class. Nothing like a good class to get the juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great, Carol. I love the cats mug rug...I'm sure your SIL will, too.

    If your block was only off by 1/4" then you are going to have great quilting success. You'll have that cutting, sewing & pressing mastered in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Cutting procrastination is one of my own challenges. Yay, for your enjoying your class and making things to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Carol, am also a cat lover! Srip piecing is so helpful. I made a small "Rail Fence" quilt with it when I was first learning quilt designs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and I think these mug rugs will be loved and enjoyed.

    Happy stitching ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blocks. I like the cat fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol, your mug rugs are looking good. I need quiet time when I'm cutting my fabric also. That's usually when the dogs come in and want my attention. I'm getting a little behind on mine, so I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a feral cat named Deva. She always hides if anyone comes into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this one Carol! I'm sure your SIL will love it, particularly if she loves kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you are enjoying your class-sometimes I am just amazed how useful a tool the internet can be-if we search it out. I taught myself the basics of how to spin on the net

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are WAY ahead of me. I have the nine patch done, and an idea for the end piece, and that's as far as I've gotten. This looks great! I'm sure your SIL loved it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.