Sunday, June 5, 2016

Mother Nature Love Me!!


I'm telling you, I am truly blessed!!  What now, you say?  What the heck is that a picture of?

Well, let me tell you!! Many years ago...at least 20 I bet, we used to see Orioles flying in the air and wonder where their nest was.  I read that they liked to make a nest high in the trees.  We began seeing them at our pond.  Then we occasionally saw them at our feeders.  I began to put out what I read would attract them.  Got a feeder and syrup.  Put out orange halves.  Nope, occasional sightings but no regular visits.

When I put the Hummer feeder out this year, who do you think was the first visitor?  Yup, a beautiful male Oriole.  He liked the orange flavored suet too. And there he was eating from the sliced oranges.  He brought his wife too.

Then we saw young ones at the feeders and taking baths in the puddles at the pond.

My best view of our pond from the house is from the bathroom window.  I like to look out that window when I wake up and see what is going on.  I saw that male oriole land on a thin branch hanging from the maple tree in the back yard.  He left and came back to the same spot.  What the heck...all I saw was the leaves on the hanging branch.  Out I went to investigate.  I never noticed that brown balloon looking thing in the tree before.  I kept watching and trying to get a picture.  THAT is an Oriole nest.  How cool is that!! Guess I'll be seeing more babies soon.

By the way, we have another brood of Blue Birds ready to leave the nest soon.  I'm telling you, I LOVE that Mother Nature!!


12 comments:

  1. How cool is that Carol!!! What a great find. We have had some new birds around here... One i believe is a Summer Tanager he is bright orangey/red kind of colored like a cardinal but if you look he has no crest and his wife is more yellow and duller than him... I only see them when i mow the back yard... AND we've had a Rose Breasted Grosbeak at the feeder....so pretty... The bluebirds built their nest in a different bird house this year , one closer to the house and they are giving my hubby's truck heck.... Whether he parks it in the bottom driveway or the top he must just be within their territory because they poop and peck at all the windows...lol He is NOT amused...lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't see Orioles here, but I'm going to try attracting some. Their nests are pouch-like and well camouflaged. Just looked online, and they are beautiful!
    We have a bird nest that was built this year under the tarp covering our grill. Needless to say, there has been no grilling! But soon, when the nest seems vacated, we will be able to do so again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO lucky!!! The first year we had our home built we saw Orioles but none since and that was 21 years ago....we do have hummers. How exciting for you!!!! Hope you can get some pics of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!, I've never seen an oriole nest before! Your yard sounds like a haven for "the discerning bird" !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I love to see "real live nature"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I envy you the orioles...and the bluebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting! I don't think I've ever been aware of an Oriole nest before. I'm not even sure they live in the southwest deserts. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO cool! Can't wait to see some pictures of them, if you can get them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see one. They don't come this far I guess. I thought that wa a hornet nest when I saw it, and with the luck you have been having I thought you might have gotten stung. Sooooo glad it was a birds nest. Be sure to get us some pictures please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so wonderful. I love when the birds know they are in a safe place and then show you how the live. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh - you lucky thing! I think I've only seen an oriole a couple of times and then all I saw was a flash of colour as it flew. Never have seen a bluebird. We had a robin build a nest in the tree right outside our bedroom window but she didn't stay around...don't know if something happened to her or if something (the squirrels most likely) disturbed the nest. I was so disappointed because we would have had a great view of the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have bluebirds or Orioles this far north! You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.