Friday, June 3, 2016

I'm So Excited!!


I'M SO EXCITED !!

Can you hear the music in those words?  Well, you know it doesn't take much!!

One of the things that I have always wanted to do is learn to quilt.  When Kathy Shaw posted that she is offering a Traditional Quilt Class I couldn't ask fast enough to be accepted to participate. After all, I HAVE collected a HUGE fabric stash with the thought in mind to spend my retirement stitching one thing or another.

I got off to a terrible start.  Sprained hand and arm that took 1-1/2 weeks to get the brace off.  Then I got "horned" by the catfish.  Family drama hit once again. Then losing Junior was more difficult than I thought it would be.

Remember I posted that as of June 1 I would sew every day?  Well, so far I have held to it.  Oh, I know it's only June 3, but they say that if you do something for 20 days it becomes a habit so that is what I am striving for.

So anyway, the class is all about piecing which means precision cutting and stitching. AND paying close attention to what you are doing and hopefully it all becomes second nature.

So far I learned that when they say to measure twice...they MEAN IT. I'm pretty sure this has already become second nature to me.  Oh, and try not to become distracted by the dog nudging your leg to attend to his needs.  That can lead to laying fabric in the wrong direction...face down instead of face UP!!

If you are a quilter, you are probably laughing snickering right now.  But I have to tell you that I have sewn tons of purses, dolls, and clothes.  Learning how to cut and  piece 2-1/2 inch squares and sew them together so the seams match is intimidating.  I'm pretty sure that I will opt for larger blocks when I do my first quilt.  But I am so proud of the way this mug rug turned out.  I can tell already I am going to be making quilts for a long time.  Watch me grow!!

16 comments:

  1. I love big blocks , that six inch tumbler is about my smallest but i have done them 24 inch's, 16 inch's. they go some much faster that way

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I measure more than once on many things, not just quilting, as I appear to have a math deficit. I'm a casual quilter of smaller items, not bed-size quilts, but I love seeing the larger quilts that others make. Quilts are beautiful in so many ways, not least in the time and effort that must go into each one. Carry on, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo.....I can't wait to see the fruits of your foray into the world of quilting!
    I can't believe what happened with you and the fish!!! Is it still alive or have you eaten it for dinner?? Is it even possible to eat it seeing as it has a barb thing??? Yes yes....I hear you chuckling as you're reading :D Out here we don't have fish with barbs! We *do* have sharks though :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol, Love the mug rug and the fabric. I'm taking Kathy's class as well. I've made 3 of the blocks so far but am behind in getting the embroidery done and making them in rugs. Maybe I'll just do a small sampler.
    I kinda have a love hate relationship with the machine. Very intimidating to me.
    Good luck with the class and will be watching for your other mug rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and welcome to the dark side...LOL! Oh it is going to be fun watching your stash grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol! It's wonderful!!! Don't get hung up on details, just follow Gene Black's blog. He's a master at quilt-making following his inner muse. Enjoy your new world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have a hard time with seams matching! The measure twice, cut once is a good rule. I look forward to seeing your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love , love, love your mug rug!! How perfect is that!? You can do it woman i know you can!!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol, I am trying to catch up with friends tonight. I enjoyed your post and I thought about the killer fish. My grandchildren and children would not have one of those for sure. I can remember taking one to the ER because getting a treble hook stuck in his thumb. My mother would make baby quilts blocks the size of postage stamps. I think I will stay with my embroidering. I am glad that you got your brace off. Have a wonderful weekend. Mine will be filled with horse shows and baseball. The grandkids keep you young. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  10. No snickering from me, Carol. I've quilted for years but a 'postage stamp block' swap I went in last year, saw me really stressing out! lol. Your mug rug looks wonderful too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl, you got it now run with it. But don't forget that weather throw. Praying drama leaves your home. Enjoy your new adventure, now you'll find fabric you forgot you had and won't be able to pass by a quilting shop. In fact you search them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will become second nature! I like what you did with your fabrics, though, and it looks great! You are ahead of me now. =) Starting big and working down is a good plan ... 9" blocks are my favorites, but I make lots of 12s and larger. I even make one block into an entire baby quilt sometimes. You will love the speed of that! There's a magazine called Big Block, I think, still. Might be one to investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun, exciting post! I'm so excited for you. Have to admit you have a great ability to rise above things like sprained wrists, cat fish bites (that's a really unusual event) and go forward. Its going to be great fun to see your quilting. I too love this coffee mat!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol I can totally relate to this out on learning to quilt. I find I have some sort of "yet-to-be-diagnosed" spatial dyslexia. All those little pieces I cut so carefully just do not end up being sewn in their proper places. It can be very frustrating to say the least. Your mug rug looks fabulous! Embracing Creative Bliss...P.S. I am doing Kathy Shaw's Basic Crazy Quilt Class. What was I thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY!!! Good, no, GREAT for you! You are now part of the wonderful world of not only crazy quilters, but sane quilters as well!!! I know you will love stash diving and sewing up all sorts of quilts and projects. And we can share resources, patterns, etc!! Your mug rug is awesome, and I'm so thrilled that you're on your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One thing I rapidly learned about sane quilting is that the stitch ripper was my friend....however matching points and precision cutting were NOT my friends, so I'm sticking to CQ. I'm happy in my own little world and am content to admire the creations of those who are 'sane'.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.