Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Bird is the Word!!


May has been a really busy and somewhat stressful month so far. I think a "Stuff" post will be in order pretty soon.

In the meantime, here are some of my favorite bird visitors, though I can honestly say I love them all EXCEPT the Evil English Sparrows.

We have a Grosbeak family that has been coming to the feeders and to the pond.  Here is a male eating Cherry Suet, while a juvenile male is at the feeder next to the suet.  We have seen the female at the feeder as well.  The other day a juvenile female was bathing in a rain puddle next to the pond.  I wonder if they are a family.


 I am always so excited when the Orioles stop at the feeders.  Here a male is eating oranges that I place in a suet feeder.  We have seen the male and female come together.  Recently there have been juveniles visiting as well.  I saw a juvenile at a puddle by the pond.  It is usually pretty difficult for me to get pics of the Orioles.  They are usually fraidie cats and fly off with the least little noise. This family visits frequently and don't seem so afraid.  I like to think they are the same pair that have been coming every year and have become comfortable with us.  I don't put a syrup feeder out for them because they don't seem to use it, but they love the oranges. Later they will eat from the Hummer Feeders.



We are blessed with Blue Birds again this year.  I have two of these houses in our area, plus a few cedar houses.  The Blues seem to prefer these round boxes.  We had a pair lay eggs in the other house...then abandoned it leaving the eggs unattended.  After two weeks I emptied and cleaned the box. then I noticed a pair with two babies coming to the feeders.  They usually come to the feeders about a week after leaving the nest. Also they are hanging around the OTHER round house and now the mother is sitting on another brood.  Can't figure out what is going on because I never say the parents in that box before.  Anyway, the father is sitting on a branch of a dead tree we debranched but let stay to promote the woodpecker population that hunt for bugs there. His two babies are sitting on one of our poles I like to refer to as our totems.

We have the usual variety of birds visit the feeders.  We have Cat Birds nesting in the Honey Suckle next to the house.  Cowbirds, Titmouse, Nut Hatch, Chickadee and others I might have forgotten to mention here all visit.  I make an effort to attract the Wood Peckers that I love so much and put out bread for my beloved Crow.  Three visit all the time.  I don't know why I love them so much, but I do.  Of course we have visits from Hawk and I love them too. I haven't seen any Hummingbirds yet.

 
In 2014 we relined our pond. We planned to re-landscape it so that there would be a minimal amount upkeep which really means weeding. The first year was pretty much the relining effort and a new privacy fence on that side of the yard.  Since our back yard is about 250 feet long and Terry and I did it ourselves it was slow going.  Last year most of our summer consisted of cloudy days...it was depressing and we didn't get that much work done in the back. We did enclose the back porch and believe me THAT was an accomplishment.  However, I feel really confident that this will be a great summer with perfect weather and we will get the replanting done.  I am off to a great start already.

Last year I added a little channel area to the pond.  I planted some grasses there.  Last week I got a picture (top left) of the fish using that area to spawn.  Before I took the picture there were about 4 times as many fish, but I scared them out of the picture.  The frogs have been singing their throats off and you can see they too are giving us billions and billions of babies (top right).  You can see them along the entire pond area.  I think the pond is about 20 x 30.  Our water lily are doing well.  We planted 7 more this year.  I can see them sprouting, but have not yet reached the top of the water.  See those ducks?  No, I'm not going to tell you we have ducks.  Well, I guess we do, but they are of the plastic variety.  Terry bought 3 at a garage sale and they have been floating with the flow of the water created by the filter system.  I must admit that I like them.

I never tire of bird watching.







10 comments:

  1. I'm with you - I never tire of watching the tweeters ... a true delight in life! Your menagerie sounds extremely entertaining & I admit to being quite envious of your oriole visits for we don't get them out here. The current bru-ha-ha on my patch is mama eagle sitting on her egg in the nest tree [about 200 yards from our house]. She periodically "screams" during the day for food deliveries and altho the male always obliges, it's sometimes later than sooner & the cacophony in the meantime can be deafening. Still, wouldn't trade it for nuthin' !! Been watching this cycle for nigh on ten years now and it's a joy every time.

    Happy birdwatching, Carol, and HAPPY SPRING xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the birds too. Jack said he thought he saw a hummingbird yesterday, but I doubt they would come to a feeder this high up. I'd love to try though, so I might just buy one to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the birds too! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Carol, enjoyed the pictures. Our hummingbirds are back as of last week, along with all the others except the Orioles. I guess they don't come this far. Beautiful shot of them. We do have the Canary Finches though, I noticed you didn't mention them. I really like your pond, too many critters here that would eat the fish. The raccoon and possums come right up on the porch so I can't see them staying out of a pond.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picture the birds flying nearby, then saying to each other as they dive into your yard, "there it is!"
    Feasting time! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your birds and pond. It is fascinating to see all unknown-to-me varieties. Your garden sounds like a real sanctuary for wildlife :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful!!! I'd probably never get anything done for watching the birds. You've created a real sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what wonderful pics of your birds, Carol! I agree, you do have a sanctuary for birds, and those orioles are breath-taking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love bird watching too-so peaceful and mesmerizing. You've made a wonderful place for all of them with the ponds. This year we did not get to see an oriole as they fly by up to you. Some years they will stay a day or two. I keep oranges out for them and I have an oriole feeder for them as well just in case they should stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing all your birds Carol. I want to do a bird post soon too. I have TONS of bird photos to go thru though....I love how 'alive' your pond is.. Gosh i haven't seen tadpoles in ages! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.