Monday, April 18, 2016

Sunday Morning Surprise



Last summer Terry and I enclosed our back porch will a row of windows and a storm door.  We often prop the storm door open so we don't have to actually go outside to let the dogs out.  Also Junior likes to lay on a rug on the porch.

Corey bought a 50" TV during the Walmart Black Friday sale.  He wanted to keep the box just in case there was a problem with it so I told him to put it on the back porch and we would dispose of it in the Spring.

Recently I have been seeing a wren on the porch.  I thought it had flown into the porch and couldn't find it's way out.  Frequently I heard a bird chirping when I let the dogs out.
Saturday morning I thought I heard a bird in the box, but really didn't pay much attention to it.

Then Sunday morning, I still heard what sounded like a bird flapping around in the box so I decided to investigate.  Looking inside, I way what appeared to be a bird nest nestled in one of the spaces in the Styrofoam filler. Though I didn't see a bird, I could hear that there was a bird in the box.  
As I began removing other paper/plastic filling that was in the box I found this little guy inside.  I picked  up the plastic he was sitting on to get a closer look.  He was fully feathered and able to fly.  I really didn't want to leave him in the porch.  I feared he would land on the floor where the dogs would be happy to play with him.

So with Terry's help, I took him into the fenced pond area where we tried to leave him in the nest, but he flew out.  The mother bird was near by watching what we were doing.  We suspected that there might have been other babies that had already flown out, but this guy had been caught below the box filling.

Even though we have peeked in a number of bird nests over the years, I have never seen a live baby bird this closely.

16 comments:

  1. Carol, I tried this comment already, but it didn't work. Hope you only get one! You did your good deed for this little creature who might not have made it without your help. We have a similar thing going on under the tarp covering our grill that has a hole in it. I can see some nesting material poking out. I've not gone close, but now I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I think of you quite often and wonder how you are doing. I have a bird nest right out my front door. I just leave it be. Now if it was wasp nest I would get out my spray because I don't want to get stung. I like your afghan in the previous post. I keep my fingers busy with my embroidering. My project is a friendship lap quilt at the moment. Take care. Hugs and Prayers from your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today you saves a life!!!! What a good and wonderful feeling that must be. So glad you found him while he could still be rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a surprise! I'm so happy you found the little bird before it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely surprise! We have no bird nests this year for the first time in several years, so I will enjoy it vicariously through you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat, glad he was old enough to fly and mom was close by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad he was "fly" ready! I guess the TV worked out since you still have the box lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, what a wonderful story. You were a hero!:) Hope all is well and that life is treating you good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - how amazing! To be able to rescue a baby bird has to be a great feeling. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing to you and to the baby bird. I hope all is well with it. What a funny place to build a nest! dezertsuz at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an exciting find! That little bird was lucky you found him :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky that baby bird was to have you there to help it :-) What a sweet moment that must have been to release it safely out into nature and its mother. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol, what a lovely experience!! Mamma bird must've been so grateful to both of you. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww! you rescued him! he wouldnt have been able to get out of there. I wonder if his mom was bringing food to hiim there. We had a humming bird stuck on our back porch once and it actually landed on my finger it was so tired of flying around. and then of course I let it out. have a great day
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am such a sucker for baby bird stories .... yours being no exception ;>) So pleased you were able to rescue the dear wee one AND that momma bird was nearby to take over tutelage!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.