Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Blue Bird Happy


It doesn't take much to make me happy.  As you might guess from the title of my blog, birds make me very happy.  About 10 years ago we met a Blue Bird lover who mentored us on being Blue Bird landlords.  There is a little to know in attracting them, which includes a diligence in protecting them.

I snapped this picture a couple of weeks ago looking from my kitchen window to the bathroom window where I caught a pair, possibly seeking warmth sitting on the sill.  One of the four blue bird houses we have in the pond area is on the side of the house next to this window.  It's hard to know if this pair is actually the pair that called our yard home last year giving us the pleasure of watching two families mature and leave the nest.  I think they might be because they seem to favor the same house that last year's pair used.  We used to think the Blues migrated in the winter, but a few years ago I spotted one at our feeders and put meal worms in the meal worm feeder.  I was blessed to see so MANY Blues visit all winter long.  I always wonder if they are the babies that were raised in our houses.

Even though we are waiting for another blast of cold...REALLY cold weather including 10 inches of snow, the Evil English Sparrows seem to be building their nests.  And so our Blue Bird protection begins.  It seems a little early, so maybe Phil the rodent out in PA was right and we will have an early Spring.  Gosh, I hope so.

And MORE good news.  For about the past 5 or 6 years Terry has insisted that we put a heater in the fish pond.  It's what the experts say to do.  The experts that SELL heaters say it is a MUST.  Terry swears it doesn't cost much but I am not buying it.  Last fall we had a huge die off of his beloved Koi leaving only large goldfish.  I asked him if we could omit the heater this year.  He leaves the finances to me and with increased medication expenses I needed to cut costs.  I (and he) know our pond is deep enough to sustain the fish in a normal temp winter.  During the past week we have had a couple of 40 degree and even 60 degree days.  The ice on the pond melted.  Yesterday our fish were leisurely swimming just below the water surface.  I am happy to have those guys survive.  I don't really care to restock the Koi.  Hopefully Terry will feel the same way when the water garden shops open!

It doesn't take much to make me happy!!

15 comments:

  1. I love birds up close and personal-those electronics do add to the electric bill-we lost allot of big cat fish in our pond and thought hubby was going to start crying on me-so I took care of picking them up and placing in compost pile-so he bought a pond areator its what conservation advised especially on numerous cloudy days and he told hubby to stop feeding the fish-sigh he really enjoyed that-so after a couple years I asked if we could turn that off it was adding at least 30.00 to the bill and we had not replaced the fish at the time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see blue birds but alas:) I think the weather may be changing here. The grass seems a bit greener and we have had sunshine which always raises my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our pond is populated by frogs, not fish. Since it is right outside my studio window I often hear them 'singing'. We're getting into breeding time and they were really serenading both their 'wives' and me but then we had all the snow and very low temps. It was very silent out there and we were getting worried. Last night I heard them again. Not to many birds out here yet -- and now we're expecting tons of rain so guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see a post from you Carol! Living here in Arkansas is the first opportunity i've had to have bluebirds around. I love seeing them.. The previous owners have some bluebird houses around that are in sad shape. But the birds still use them..One of these 'years' we will get around to upgrading them..lol.... Question on the mealworms... do they eat the dried ones?? I see the dried ones at the store but i have heard they don't eat them well... any thoughts on that? :)

    I've thought of a heater for my bird bath but haven't acted on it yet... Maybe next year ... It would be sad to lose your Koi again... heres a thought..... do you think they acclimatize themselves??? Like if you use a heater you should use it every year because they get used to it and come to need it... and if you didn't use one it would make them more hardy ? Does that make any sense? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bluebirds! My father was a birdwatcher and kept track of what he saw down in the country. Even after AD hit, I would drive him down and we would look for specific birds. It was the last truly cognizant interest he maintained. The bluebirds were his favorite, but he was interested in all of them. He added wild turkeys, and over the years, the flock has struggled to stay ahead of predators, but just when we think they are all gone, someone will spot a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so blessed to have blue birds in your area! They are such a cheerful little bird. I have a goldfish pond that was made from an old large satellite dish that was lying out on our property. I asked my husband to turn it into a pond for me. He and my son dug a hole deep enough to cradle the dish in, we then added pond liner. We bought the cheap little gold fish from Pet Smart and placed them in to see how they would do. I have had some of my goldfish for 6 years now. They have grown from 1 inch to 9 inches in length with large fanning tails. I used a heater the first year, but do not any longer. Even when we had the terrible ice storm last year with 7 degree temps, my goldfish lie underneath a large sheet of ice and did well. I am not sure if that would work for you in your area, but I have heard that all fish just slow down in freezing water and do fine. I hope you keep enjoying your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puxatawny Phil in PA isn't that far from NJ , and we've also had bluebirds here in South Jersey. He may have been right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bluebirds would make me happy, too. We have a lot of robins and there are at least two cardinals that fly around here. I've caught them on the deck railing quite often. How lovely to have the happiness bird, though. What do you do to protect them - and is it from the Evil English Sparrows? ~dezertsuz

    ReplyDelete
  9. A dear family friend of ours made us birdhouses designed specifically to attract bluebirds. We were told we are in an ideal location for them. Your post reminds me I need to buy some meal worms to start putting out to see if any might visit this year. Our friend passed away a few years back. We think of him every time we see other birds visiting the birdhouses he created. Your bluebirds are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those bluebirds are cute. I've never seen one in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be beyond happy if I ever got to see a real live bluebird. I know they are around but I have never been lucky enough to see one. Thank you for sharing your wonderful picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom always had bluebirds, but I never see any here in town. I see them out though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely little bluebirds, Carol! Hope that the expected cold front hasn't been too bad!
    Fish and I don't seem to get along.....somehow I always managed to ...ummm.....liberate....my eldest's goldfish from it's bowl....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have five bluebirds that I feed daily. They call to me when I'm in my house... and when I go outside they land near by waiting for food. I can call to them too... I just call out, "Blue"... and one or more comes flying over. I toss the birds food on top of a gazebo's roof as one of my six cats would love to eat one of those lovely bluebirds. I just love my "blues" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We live on a 12 acre lake and we put in a heater over the winter to create an air/oxygen hole for the fish!
    Have seen the bluebirds in our yard a few weeks back, but haven't seen them since. Come back bluebirds! Watching out for naughty sparrow taking over the bluebird houses!
    Take care,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.