Friday, February 5, 2016

4 AM Phone Call - Are You Ready?


My grandson gets up for work at 4 AM and is out the door in 20 minutes.  I get up too, just to wish him a good day.  Then I read my email and blog roll......

4:25 AM and the phone rings...It can only be BAD.  Since Corey just left, I expected it to be him and never checked the caller ID.  I grabbed the phone quick so the ringing wouldn't wake up Terry.

The person on the other end did not reply to my Hello...their finger hit the key pad because a couple of times I heard musical beeps.  Oh..this was going to be bad.  I expected it to be about my Father In Law...remember he is not well.

I heard a timid female voice saying ...Carol...someone tried to break into my house..I said I'll be right there and woke Terry up as I put on my shoes and coat.  The call was from my 85 year old sister who lives across the street kitty corner from my house.

4:30 in the morning and someone kicked in her back door.  WHO DOES THAT!!  Who kicks in a door and doesn't care if they are heard???? What would they do to her if they were able to actually go into the living area of her house?  As it is, Terry had installed dead bolt locks and it wasn't easy for them to break the door down.  They did kick in the bottom hinge.  Who knows why they left.  Too hard for them to get in?  The area is well lit.  There is a security night guard which was installed on a pole by the electric company right outside the door!

Her next door neighbor had heard the noise and called the police who were there by the time I got there.  The neighbor mentioned that the house across the street from my sis, which is two doors down from me, had THEIR door kicked in two weeks ago.

Basically I don't live in a high crime area.  It's a rural area that has grown more populated since we moved here.  We have always had some neighborhood trouble in the 40 years we have lived here but nothing serious.  In my opinion kicking in doors at 4 AM is SERIOUS.

Terry has a lot of experience repairing kicked in doors.  Before he retired, he worked for almost 20 years as a Maintenance Manager in a large local apartment complex.  Due to physical limitations, he is no longer able to do this kind of repair so he called a contractor he knows to replace the door.  A new door with a sturdy and maintenance free jamb, new locks including dead bolts.  We also bought a door security bar which is a bar that fits under the door knob and wedges tightly from the floor as additional security.  The effect is similar to a chair wedged under a door knob.

Short of having a security company install alarms, what more can we do to keep her safe? The door in question does not have a storm door.  The contractor suggested a security storm door which is really heavy and also has two dead bolts.  The weather was cold and snowy yesterday so that will be done in the near future.  Repairs cost $600.  Why would these guys think that they are entitled to steal what my sister has...or worse.  I still can't shake thinking of what might have happened.

Keep watch...investigate noises...look out for your neighbor...don't forget

28 comments:

  1. How frightening! Your sister must be very thankful to have you live so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your sister is OK. How frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very scary! Especially for someone in their 80s. It sounds like foolhardy young people, perhaps drinking, then vandalizing and running. If an alarm system is not cost prohibitive, it's the answer. One with a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond frightening! I am so sorry your sister had to experience this, I cannot even imagine! We have had our cars all robbed at one time or another and again we live in a rural area and way off the road so even that was really upsetting. And credit fraud and that, but to have your door kicked in. Big hug to her and to you, too. I've had those early a.m.'this can't be good' phone calls and boy, do I know just what you mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness Carol! Does your sister have a car? If not, then maybe they thought no one was home. Can your sister leave a little light on? Maybe one of your family can start parking their car at her house since she is so close to you? So happy everything and everyONE is okay. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Carol! I am so pleased that your sister was not physically harmed.....but the fright!!!
    I would consider that kind of actions as SERIOUS......and I live in the city (albeit the suburbs!) and crime is not uncommon here! The only thing I can think is that These hooligans must have been watching the house and realised that an elderly lady lived there on her own! I can think of no other reason why they would be that brazen! Thank goodness for those deadbolts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel for your sister...that is terrible. So glad it was only the door, not that that wasn't bad and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine! Glad everyone is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry your sister had to go through this, there are some nasty people out there! My noughts are with her as I know what it is like when someone has broken into your home - the memory eases with time, but it doesn't go away! It's good that you are so close to her and able to help. I hope they catch the people!

    Take care! Hugs to you and your sister! Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is really getting bad now, my hubby is going to get a permit to carry so we will always be ready

    ReplyDelete
  11. How scary!!!So glad everything turned out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. We were robbed while sleeping, the alarm went off at 4:30 in ht morning for my to start getting breakfast and lunch for hubby for leaving for work at 5:00. (Truckdriver) Police said the alarm scared them off before they went past kitchen. We were blessed and so was your sister. So I know the feelings and thoughts that are running through your minds. It is awful. I will be praying for all of you to get your peace back, and your being safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol so sorry to hear this. This happened to my Mom years and years ago, thankfully she was not home but she never had a safe feeling after that. I am concerned about how you will get in should your sister need you and all of those bolts are on the door. Also should emergency personnel need to get into the house. Just a thought I had. Good to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. It can happen anywhere. We hear of back of house windows being broken for access and to investigate ANY noises as burglars supposedly don't think anyone will check out a single noise. We keep our doors locked and most windows have wooden bars in the sill to only let the windows open only a couple of inches (not enough for an arm to reach through). I highly recommend the security doors. It just tells people to stay away from that house a little bit better. I wonder if it's someone local who knows your grandson will have left the neighborhood by that time?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad your sister is ok! We had someone attempt to steal my husband's truck while we lived in our first home. They stole the few CDs he had in it an managed to break the ignition in their attempt to steal the truck itself, so we had to find a locksmith to fix it. The creepy part was seeing evidence in the front of the house that they had been looking inside, too. It definitely leaves one feeling violated. I do hope your sister is doing okay and I am glad she has you living so close.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so sorry Carol that is scarey-good thing you were already awake

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a scary thing! I'm so sorry that had to happen to your sister. It seems like home invasions are getting more and more prominent and it's terrible to think that we can no longer feel totally safe in our own homes. All you can do is to do what you've done and install the best door system you can, along with an alarm. I wonder if one of those personal alarms might be an added element of security too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is it possible there is a neighborhood drunk who can't find his (or her, I suppose) own home and gets frustrated when the key doesn't fit?
    I am so glad you are close and available to your sister. I am glad there is another neighbor who takes action when he knows something is wrong.
    Remember the days when we left our doors unlocked? Now it seems we can't leave them unlocked even during the day.
    These days we hear about cars taken at gas stations or when people are leaving them running in their own driveway to warm up. What were their parents teaching them? An opportunity is more valuable than respecting other people?
    If someone has what you want, it is fine to take it?
    I worry about the world our grandchildren and their children have inherited.

    Our area had its first murder in fifteen years. Someone knocked on the door before dawn. A man answered and was shot. The police are saying it was not a random shooting and the neighbors should not feel threatened.
    How can having a person killed NOT cause fear and worry? What if that person had knocked on the wrong door, or someone else had answered the knock. This man had a wife and kids at home.

    When it happens close to home or to someone you know, there is no ignoring the act or the emotions.
    Can you add some sort of recording that activates on vibration?
    If someone knocks or kicks at the door, I suggest the sound of a large dog growling and a shotgun being loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is awful!!!! OMG...so glad it turned out your sister wasn't hurt...but so frightening!!!! You may want to lend her one of your dogs!! Dog barking always scares off would be burglars.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a break in a few years ago. Thankfully I was at work and my daughter had already moved into her own apartment. Who knows why people do this? It definitely takes away a sense of security.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is terrible! For an older person, living alone it must be so very, very terrifying. A looooong time ago the three of us lived in a mobile home (with a sliding glass door). I woke up one night to see the shape of man in our bedroom standing at our dresser. It was a very small room and I didn't want to wake my husband up out of the blue for fear he would try to attack the guy. So I laid there, holding my breath. The minute he stepped out of the room into the hallway I grabbed my husband and told him what was happening. He went running down the hallway and the guy got out the door and away before my husband could catch up with him. He had taken on the keys to our car. We moved not long after - to a home that did not have a sliding glass door. Its terrifying having someone invade your territory. I'm so glad your sister has family living close by.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How scarey..... I need your address to send you the Island Batik fat quarter...please.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a terrifying experience for your sister and how awful for the community to think there are such people 'ínvading' your area. Could the person breaking in be under the influence of drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good grief, that's terrifying! That's why we have German Shepherd Dogs and shotguns out here. Maria mentioned drugs. There is a near epidemic of meth issues in our rural area, people looking for drugs and/or money to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that is scary. So glad your sister was not harmed. She is lucky to have you close by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog. So hard to hear this. Two questions. First, can she handle a dog without it tripping her? And second, yes, I have heavy storm doors with rolling screens on my house. Since I live in a place where you open screens year around, I can have cross breezes and have the front and back doors open and still have the storm doors closed and see out. I can answer the door without opening it, if you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ohhh that is scary. The world is going to get worse and we do need to keep an eye out for each other. Glad she is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your poor sister must have been terrified. I hope the police manage to catch whoever is doing this.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.