Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2016 Project - Temperature Afghan

 I don't troll Facebook much but a group making a crochet Temperature Afghan caught my eye.  I have always wanted to keep track of the temps and weather each year but never have.  This looked like an interesting and easy way to do that AND use some of my unbelievably large yarn stash. (After gathering it all together while selecting yarn to use I actually have 6 totes full!!)   I also thought that I would have an excellent gift for Corey's girlfriend at the end of the year.

Here is a chart for the colors I am using.  The Mint has been switched to Jade because I didn't realize my original Mint choice was Baby Weight.

Here is progress after the first week.  I will use black between the months and as a border.

There are lots of ideas about creating one of these.  Some have gone back to research temps for the year they were born, married or other ideas.

One that I really liked was a mother that used her daughter's school colors which were black and orange.  She crocheted a blanket by stitching a row of orange each time her daughter's team scored a touchdown and a black row each time an opponent scored.  The blanket was gorgeous.  I thought it was really a great gift for a teen.

The Facebook group is HUGE.  Over 4,000 members.  I turned off notifications of posts to my news feed because it just got ANNOYING!!  One pessimistic member posted a comment asking how many do we really think will follow through all year.  So, in defiance to her sarcasm I'll be posting an update at the beginning of each month to show progress.  My blanket should start with these colors and progress to yellow-orange-and purple then back to these blue/greens.  I hope it turns out pretty.  I am doing single crochet  with a "H" hook since there are 366 days this year.  It is as wide as my grandson's arm span and at 366 rows it should be long enough to cover his 6'4" height!

After seeing the stack of yarn totes I have, I'll be thinking of other projects to use it!!

24 comments:

  1. I think this is a very cool idea to use up stash and end up with projects-a good thing indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea. with such a large amount of yarn this is a good way to start to use it up. Have fun and I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitches are beautiful and I love the colors. Quite a challenge to take on - and I admire you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a wonderful idea Carol. I cannot wait to see the finished piece... but i better wait huh! It'll be a year!!! lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love this! I may give it a try with knitting, although I don't have as much year. Question: Carol, do you crochet a row each day according to high temp for that day? Or is it average temp for the day and weekly rows? Details please, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am stitching one row per day based on the 3 PM temp as posted on my local TV station weather site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am stitching one row per day based on the 3 PM temp as posted on my local TV station weather site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so fun! Did you start it on the 1st of January?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way without stress to use your stash and make a beautiful gift.
    Love the starting colors. Anxious to see how it blends through the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an interesting idea and a good time to start so it's ready for use next winter. We've been having the highest temperatures on record but now it's freezing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat idea, practical, and the end result will be both beautiful and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first I am hearing of such an interesting project. My Grandma would have crocheted this in daily creative bliss. I will be happily following your progress dear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool project, Carol! Looks like such fun and it will be beautiful. I had not heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. First thank you for following and commenting on my blog.. I dont get too many doing that so any time I do it makes me very happy. Most of my kids follow but only on an email which one son set up to receive so then all the others do too.
    I think it amazing all the knitting you do. I tried it but not very talented so I will just dabble in my writings and a little painting too. I have a Facebook account, reallly only way I keep in touch with my 5 children and what they are up to. So thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful idea. I will be looking out for the finished project. I use to crochet years ago I sometimes think about getting back into it. Stay warm its very cold here we have a snow coming this weekend Peace and Blessings Cheryl......Snatch JOY

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen a few of those temperature scarves that people have made. Such a great idea.

    p.s. I just saw your comment on my blog. I still don't know why I don't email notices when you post a comment. It's really bugging me:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you will post photos of what you have got done...though in other ways it will be fun to see it just when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fun concept - it will be great to watch this progress as the year goes by. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays. I'm looking forward to seeing this blanket grow through the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I closed off the notifications too. Way too many! Maybe I'll do like you and post once a month. I started a second afghan, not a temperature one but just another to fit my bed as doing one row a day wasn't enough! I am hoping to finish one I started knitting 4 years ago along with these two and also complete 3 pairs of slipper socks for my son this year. I think it's totally doable with just a row, a row, a few rounds and a couple or knit rows each day! I didn't have enough in my stash so had to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm loving this idea!!! Do you make a single row per day?
    I'm not a facebooker at all ....I find it difficult keeping up with blog reading! Can't imagine what I'd do if I had facebook involved too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great idea. I think I have seen similar ideas for knitting a scarf based on the rainfall. I think it will look wonderful when all done, and it will be a great record keeper - you could make one every year and see how much it varies :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.