Wednesday, November 25, 2015

This is NOT our Thanksgiving Bird!!






It's almost Thanksgiving...tomorrow!

Nope, this isn't the Bird.  Well, it IS a bird.  A Sharp Shinned Hawk, I think.  When we pulled in the driveway the other day, before the snow, he was standing in the yard.



See that green bush...Boxwood.  I had a bird blogger friend that said you should always plant Boxwood in the area of your feeders so the little birds could hide from hawks.  My feeders are in the front yard so I can watch them from our living room patio doors.  There are several Boxwood planted out there.  When we drove up, there was not a bird in sight except for the Hawk.  His next move was to jump in that Boxwood.  Out flew about 20 sparrows.  He must have just wanted to scare them because he didn't chase them down.  Instead, he flew up to a branch on the tree and watched us taking picture of him.





See, here he is on the limb.  Make the pic bigger and you will see a squirrel sitting on the branch above him.  Did you ever hear a squirrel screeching at something and bobbing his tail.  That's what Mr. Squirrel was doing. There's actually a Titmouse sitting in a tree near by.

We have been visited by Hawks everyday.  Yesterday a adult Cooper was sitting on the deck banister watching Terry through the window. I couldn't see any birds except a Woodpecker out in the tree.  This Cooper lives in a stand of Pines you can see in the background.

I've read that when a Hawk finds your feeders you should take them down for a few days.  I don't do that.  I figure its all nature and can only hope that if they feed there it's on the evil sparrows. (My name for English Sparrows that are a natural enemy to my Blue Birds).

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.

14 comments:

  1. We have mostly big pine trees around us Carol but by the bird feeder is a huge sprawled out Quince bush and let me tell you the birds...especially the Cardinals covet that bush. They go from bush to feeder and back to bush on repeat aaalll day long... I haven't seen any predator birds around here. I'm sure they are here but i just haven't noticed them in my yard. What pretty pictures you took!! And oh yes squirrels surely know how to scold loudly when they want to. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hawks are beautiful creatures. I hope yours feed only on evil sparrows :). You have a wide variety of birds visiting. I'm just back in town for a bit to run some errands and pick up a few things. Have to get back to the country where the kids and grandkids are gathered. Happy Thanksgiving, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hawk is HUGE! The squirrel must have been funny to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome photo captures-we have not seen a hawk nearby for some time now-they are soooo cool to watch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. It's already Thursday here in Japan, but no Thanksgiving holiday here. I can still be thankful though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol,
    Great pictures! It's amazing to see these birds of prey, but I always worry about the bird families loosing their kin! Do birds mate for life? I think they do!

    You may have seen my pictures recently of a sparrow hawk in our garden. I always have mixed feelings when I see them - sadness and a little awe!

    Hope you are having a great week!

    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't the birds provide so much entertainment! I never tire of watching and feeding them. Haven't seen too many big hawks around my feeders but occasionally I catch a blur out of the corner of my eye and realize a small hawk has just swooped in and made an attempt at a little bird. We have kestrels and merlins around and sometimes a big red tailed hawk can be seen lurking about but they are after the mice and rats that also are attracted to the leavings at the feeders. Good photos! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel like I was watching NATGO and learned something new! HA Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, the hawks are awesome birds. I do feel sorry for the little song birds, I hope your Woodpecker is safe. Great photos. Thank you for linkng up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the little birds have a place to hide from the hawk. I've seen hawks catching rabbits in the desert. That made me worry about our small dogs. I didn't think they could carry a dog away but they could cause a lot of damage if they tried.

    Hope you had a yummy Thanksgiving! On to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!!! We have them - but mostly they stay up in the 'up the hill' forest. Its quieter up there and that's where all they prey live too. I love seeing them. We used to have a lovely grey heron who lived at a pond nearby and we would see him each time we drove in and out. But sadly he hasn't been seen for awhile -- perhaps he got married and moved in with his in-laws. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a sparrow hawk visiting our pine tree last winter hoping for an easy dinner from those that visited our feeder. Never did see him get any lunch so I guess the little birds might just be smarter than he is (or luckier!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. At our New Home we have a lot more Native Desert Species of Birds flocking to our Yards than before when we were City Dwellers. We are bordering on a huge County Park that flanks Pristine Desert and huge Mountain Range which is an unspoiled Habitat. I so Enjoy seeing the Species that are typical Desert Dwellers, but I don't intentionally Feed them since I don't want to inhibit their Natural ability to forage rather than relying upon us Humans and become Wild but 'Domesticated' individuals that get lazy. *winks* However, that said, if Miss Priss does not gobble up her kibbles they do seem to really consider it quite the Feast! *Ha ha ha* Lucky for us she's getting Fat and Sassy so hasn't killed too many of them and now seems resigned to Share her occasional meals with those that come for a visit! Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  14. for some reason only known to blogger it doesn't send your comments to my email , but i go back and read them just to see!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.