Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Attack Of The Stink Bugs

It's Ugly. It looks like it survived the Dinosaur Era.  It is indestructible. It STINKS when you squish it...really...you can smell it...ACK!!

They started showing up in our area in 2010. When I first saw them, I researched what they were and where they came from. They are called the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. Any insecticide I know of that would kill it, will also kill bugs you don't want to kill.  I found a product at Menards called Bug Stop that I spray around the outside around the doors and windows which seems to keep them off the house, but does not kill them.  In the fall, they want to come in to the warm.  They can creep into any small, tiny space. they don't bite, but farmers are starting to see crop damaged by them.  I read they are in more than 36 states.  They came here in crates from China or Japan.  They hitch rides on cars and trucks to travel across the country.

We have two patio doors in our living room that open onto the front deck.  Tyson and Boscoe lay in front of the door watching these stinking bugs cling to the screen until they slip between the screen and window.  Both dogs concentrate on the bug until they catch them and ...yup...you guessed it...down it goes.  Dang Dogs.  I want the bugs dead, but not like that!!

Do you have the Stinks yet?

13 comments:

  1. Yes, we have them in Japan. Now that it's getting cooler outside, they are trying to come inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in NJ too. Although I can't say in great numbers, and so far, I've not been privileged to the "stink". 😏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how horrible -Carol, these are very similar to some that I saw last year while staying in the country but they were more a dark green colour.. probably just a cousin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have them in Oregon. Anyway were I live but we did have them in ID.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had stink bugs in Tx for sure.. i don't remember seeing them in CA and we haven't seen any here in Arkansas. We did not seem to have an over abundance of them in TX because i don't remember them being a problem , just seeing an occassional one.... Right now here in AR we are seeing a ton of daddy long legs and spiders. You can clean off webs and spiders from the outside of the house one day and the next they are back...everybody wants to find a warm place for the winter....just not my house!! uuughh... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was one in my CAR yesterday! It's a good thing I wasn't driving when I spotted it! YUCKO!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol Carol! Dinosaur era indeed! I can't say that I've seen these bugs here....but we have our own selection of ugly buglies !
    I've often seen a device advertised that you plug in and it supposedly uses some kind of electro magnetic pulses to chase off the creepy crawlies. I have no idea if it works...but may be something you can look into as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the odd one here, but not at lot. Of course if I lived in the country there might be a lot more. Ugly things, but they aren't as freaky as earwigs are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are ugly little critters aren't they! We get those other beetles in the spring and the only way I get rid of them is to mix dawn detergent in a bucket of water and guess what! It works! With the dogs I don't want to use any spray and plain water doesn't work but the dawn detergent does the trick! I can just picture your dogs sitting at the door waiting!! Funny sight I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Yes we do have them and have had them for several years. I call them prehistoric stink bugs!
    Blessings to you for raising your grandson and the caring person he must be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the info on these guys-I have seen these in Illinois where I lived, probably here too but have not seen themas of yet we have loads of different spiders though which are interesting

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've had them all the way up in cold New England for the last few years now. We also have a family of skunks that lives in our woods and thinks they're delicious...I don't know if I can really recommend extermination by skunk, though...lol!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.