Friday, July 17, 2015

Watching Birds



We noticed a baby sparrow hanging around our feeders.  First he was walking around under them, harassing the dogs, daring them to get in trouble for lunging at him from the inside of the patio door screen.  That was going on for a couple of days.  On this particular morning I woke up to pouring rain and there was that little bird, huddled on the feeder.  Whenever we went outside, he would fly up to the tree.  He seemed to fly OK so it was kind of strange for him to be hugging that feeder all the time.  He even scared off other birds including my beloved Cardinals.  I drew the line at that and would scare him away.

Then, I didn't see him for a couple of days.  We have had a Hawk hanging around.  The other day when the Hawk came in the birds flew off.  I found a dead sparrow on the porch.  I don't know if the bird hit the window when the Hawk came, or if maybe it was that little bird.  He didn't look sick, but maybe he was.




This is one of our Blue Bird houses located on the fence by the fish pond.  We have been trying to work in that area.  I wanted to plant the lily that I bought recently along the fence.  There is a walk way between the fence and the pond. There are 4 or 5 baby birds in that house.  While I was taking a rest on a bench by the pond,  we watched the father bird come and go bringing food to the babies.  I don't know how long the mother sat there with a bug in her mouth, never going to the nest to give it to a waiting, chirping baby.  We try to limit time spent in that area, especially now that the babies are almost ready to leave the nest.

There is something about Bluebirds that make them special to us.  Perhaps it's because we actually made our area friendly to them.  We coaxed them to breed here by enticing them with meal worms, shelter and plenty of water.  We guard them as best we can from the Evil Sparrows.  I can't tell you how many times I have scared off the sparrows from trying to get into the nest to throw the babies out.  The blues never fly away when we do it and we like to think they know we love them.

We have had a couple of really good weather days which have been perfect for working outside.  This weekend should be really hot and humid.  The pond area is shaded in the morning so I'll be out there as soon as I can.  I'm excited to work out there because things are coming together nicely, even though slowly. We put a deck out by the pond and I want to get it cleaned this weekend so I can stain it as soon as the humidity subsides.  Gosh, I love 80 degree summer days!!

7 comments:

  1. I think you have created an awesome sanctuary for your wildlife friends. I didn't know that the sparrows were mean in that way-they must be very territorial. 80 degrees are the best for sure-we have not had any of those yet super hot here too and storms coming in on sunday afternoon-my spinning class is 9am to noon and was hoping to do a little shopping afterwards will see what the weather brings

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, we've had problems with sparrows too, until we installed a Sparrow Spooker. See below for pictures. It WORKS!
    http://www.countrycitycindy.blogspot.com/search/label/birds
    Unfortunately, a raccoon got our recent nest last week.
    We also have problems with wrens so we add a wren guard after the eggs are laid.

    Good luck! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to take birds for granted, especially when we live where there are many, but stopping to notice and listen to them is so worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds give us endless entertainment here too, them and the squirrels. This is a quiet time of year, the birds seem to have mainly fledged and are out in the wild, not at my feeders as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh moan, groan - I very much dislike the heat and humidity. From now on I'll probably be gritting my teeth. I love what you're doing with your yard and especially your work with the blue birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bluebirds too, and until this year we always had them nesting. I don't know what happened this year, we aren't seeing any in our area at all. I never knew this about sparrows, we have every kind imaginable. What I have the main problem with is the black birds and starlings. They get into the feeders and empty them right out, leaving nothing for the beautiful song birds. I'm enjoying your blog Carol, and love what you are doing with your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I wish I could see a real bluebird! I know they are in the area but they're very elusive and I have yet to catch a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.