Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Little Elbow Grease and Oxygen Cleaner


Two patio doors open onto a  deck on the front of our home.  Admittedly, it has been a few years since I gave it a good cleaning and a coat of stain.  Cleaning and painting the deck is definitely going to be done this summer.  So I began to research what product to use to clean it.  I watched some amazing videos that showed a guy spraying on a product and rinsing off with a hose..amazing.  Simple. Expensive and definitely not in my budget.  Or, I should say not a priority for my purse. Ok, I'm cheap.  I'm not afraid of work.  I find what others think tedious to be meditative time.  I live on a Crazy Train so Wax on/Wax off appeals to me.

So, more google searches were in order.  I was thinking why not use bleach water.  I make my own mix of bleach, water and Dawn to use as a household cleaner.   Google told me that bleach breaks down wood fiber so the search was still on.  Somewhere I found information that using an Oxygen cleaner mixed with water would clean the wood nicely.  In this picture, you can see the Before and After  results.  Totally amazing.  I put one scoop in what was probably about a gallon of hot water.  Took the mix, a scrub brush and a short sit stool out to the deck to try it out. It really honestly didn't take much effort at all.  I brushed the mix onto the boards, scrubbed a little and washed off with a hose.  One thing I will do as I precede is to rinse the brush before I put it back into the oxy mix to keep what I am putting on the next area clean.

The next step will be to paint it with one of those restorative wood paints.  If you have any experience with restoring a deck, I'd love hear what you learned.

Now, if the weatherman will just cooperate with a little sun, I'll be ready to continue.

12 comments:

  1. Impressive.

    I use a bleach, water and Dawn mixture for cleaning too....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... no experience... and our deck now is painted so i'm afraid i'd be no help at all... :(Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know about decks but i do know about boats. And there the trick is sanding before staining or whatever then sanding again, then sealing it all up.
    When things are nuts, cleaning, any work in fact, is soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the name of the oxygen cleaner that you used? I'd like to try something that's not harmful to me, plants or the wood. :-) It looks like this worked great for you.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your attitude! Good on ya for tackling the task. Sorry, but I have no experience of deck restoration, but I did want to say that you have inspired me to clean up an old wooden garden seat. Have been neglecting it for an age and I think the Oxygen cleaner you're using would be perfect. Wish me luck - and THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great results!! Our decks/steps are painted and hubby does this job every couple of years. Yay for husbands!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just power wash (you can rent cheaply if you don't have one)...then we use Deckscapes by Sherman Williams. We have white posts and beige floor to match our house. The 'stain' looks like a paint and lasts!!! Our deck gets hot, hot sun in the afternoon but we've love this. Have used other stains but feel this is the best. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Who knew. Thankfully I don't have a deck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great results! A great workout too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We recently borrowed the neighbors pressure washer to clean our deck, then applied a product called Wolman's weatherproofing finish and preservative. My husband is telling me to recommend that you apply it in a thin single layer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my reply to Lorraine:
    I used an off brand that I buy at Walmart called SUN Oxygen cleaner. The chemical in it is sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate.​ I don't know how safe it is for plants, but the bushes etc next to the deck were not effected by the rinse water. It has to be better than the harsher chemical cleaners that you can buy to clean the deck. I think this SUN is similar to Clorax Oxyclean, but very much less expensive. It is the booster that I use in my laundry instead of bleach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love diy cleaning products too-looks like it is doing a good job-never thought to have an extra bucket of water to rinse off your cleaning tool-awesome idea-even for when I scrub the tile floors we are in for another 10 straight days of rain too-ugh

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.