Thursday, May 28, 2015

Key and Lock Quilt Blocks



I'm taking a little break from Crazy Quilt Blocks.  I need to piece more blocks and have not been able to make the time to focus on that step in the process.

We had a short trip on The Crazy Train again. That has evened out, but I needed what I call mindless stitching to keep my mind and hands occupied so this is what I have been doing.

My daughter accessorizes her wall decor with old keys and locks.  When thumbing through an issue of Quilts and More, I noticed a quilt on the cover made of blocks with keys appliqued on each one.  Originally, that was the process I was going to use. Then, that thought developed into blocks with keys and locks embroidered on each one.

In my version, each block is 6 x 12.  I have patterned fabric with keys and locks on it and some other fabrics that compliment it.  My design will incorporate a mixture of those fabrics and the embroidered blocks.  All stitching is in the stem stitch using 2 threads of floss.

I have to tell you that I don't know what I am doing because I have never made a quilt before, but  I am confident that when it comes time to put it all together, it will all come together nicely.  It will be about the size of a twin size so she can use it in the living room as a throw.

One thing that I have learned is that I really like using 6 strand floss as opposed to pearle cotton. I have been gifted a HUGE amount of flosses from a very good blog friend and THANK Beth so much for the gift.

11 comments:

  1. Looks very pretty! Look forward to seeing more and good luck with putting the quilt together. I've never quilted, maybe one day as I love quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omy Gosh... if you don't know Carol 'keys' are my THING! :) So you know i'm lovin' this project. I cannot wait to see it completed....Keys and locks and gears.... What a wonderful gift this will be for your daughter..

    You know if your interested... when things settle down and i get unpacked...whatever millennium that will be.... i have a big collection of floss too that belonged to my mother in law that i acquired when she passed away... I would be a very old woman indeed to even make a dent in what i have.... I just couldn't see it go to waste.... Would you like some when the time comes??? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the lock and key theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know that you're joining me in the great quilt-making adventure of 2015!! My project (that multiplied into two very large quilts) is now away at the long arm quilters and we'll see how they turn out. I love what you're creating for your daughter and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Carol, you could have fooled me! You look like you definitely know what you are doing, this is a great idea. I am sure it will be great when done. Don't forget to show us. You do know, don't you, that this is how it starts? You get an idea, feel like you don't have a clue, try it out, and end up impressing everyone, including yourself. Then you are hooked on becoming a quilt maker!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea!!! The keys are wonderful!!! Just google if you run into any issues with your quilt making! Why did I think you quilted? thought for sure you have!! You do everything else!!! And if you can't find assistance on 'google', just ask us/your blog friends! We're all willing to assist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is a fantastic idea Carol! I'm looking forward to watching this project grow:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be fabulous:) Thank you for your comment about my CQ. For some reason it didn't come into my email but I did see it on my blog. Blogger doing it's thing I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely!! I too have an affinity for keys - don't know why. Your daughter is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will be a wonderful first quilt for you, and I'm willing to bet it won't be your last. Your daughter will be thrilled. I hope all's well in your world, not sure where your crazy train took you but I hope it is secure now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful idea. It's going to look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.