Sunday, March 8, 2015

January CQJP 2015 Block

This is the first Crazy Quilt block I have made with only myself to decide fabric, block construction, seam treatment and stitches used.

Years ago I did extensive embroidery stitching. But embroidery of that type was a lot different than stitching on seams.  It was more satin stitching a transferred pattern.  I have always wanted to learn to crazy quilt, but want to create a more primitive stitching, rather than the lacy and ribbon embroidered style that I love to look at, but does not fit my own preference of a more Bohemian style.

So I started this journey to help me learn the stitches I desire to conquer.  I don't like the first seam I stitched, bet you can tell which one it is.  But I kept it, because it is the "first" and my measure of how much I will improve.  I love this piece because it is a start.  It broke the barrier for me.  I am achieving a rhythm...creating a habit...reveling in an instant gratification that comes from satisfaction of conquering a fear.  What fear??  Well, the fear that you create when you compare your own skill to the skill of those you admire.  There are a few friends that read this blog that I particularly want to thank, though I am not calling out your names.  You encourage me to come to the fold, you encourage me to release my imagination and play along, you give guidance and creative suggestions that I appreciate.

I am just so happy that a hesitant start is leading to personal satisfaction.


24 comments:

  1. Well I for one think it looks just grand!!
    An I know all about that fear to which you refer ...
    bury it six feet under, I say ;>]]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I really love the colours you've used. Very bold and bright:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very eclectic and Bohemian. I think your are doing just great. You are further ahead than I am. I've not taken the plunge yet for making a crazy square.

    Happy Stitching ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! You have been assimilated!! And in such a colourful wonderfully fun way too. So glad you're having fun and putting your own twist on it - that's one of the beauties of crazy quilting. You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous work. I'm working on getting up the courage to start crazy quilting, and understand the fear of which you speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol i just love it!! I cannot wait to see where your journey takes you now that you've taken that first scary step. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, a comment about the tone of your post...it is totally heartwarming. To be encouraged by others and to convey your gratefulness to them is nothing short of touching. Now about your block, holy moly, what do you mean we can tell which seam you dont like?! Not possible as I love them all, especially the yellow dots on stems, the fans, the branch with leaves bottom right, the petals climbing on the left, and the list goes on. Picture this piece without any one of your seams, its not as nice. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. really wonderful block - great colors and stitches!! fun to do

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Every little detail of it! The color choices just sing and the stitching is such a nice compliment. What a grand "first"! You mention a boho style of stitching, have you seen Brian Haggard's style of crazy quilting? http://www.brianhaggard.com/ I love his work.
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is gorgeous Carol! I love how the colours you've chosen all seem to "speak" to each other! The centre bird is perfect for this piece! And nope....I think every stitch is just right :) A fantastic first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How pretty! I love it! and what 1st seem are you talking about? they are all great!!! Beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol your crazy quilt is just beautiful! I like the bird in the center and of course with you blog name I suspect you love beads and birds, LOL!!! No one could guess your first stitches in this. They all look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is wonderful - and I love the way you described your creative process. The very best part about it is that you had a good time with it and let your work speak for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your color choices! How lush and yummy they are. You've made great start, really the first stitch is the scariest. The rest will come to you easier each time. Keep going it looks wonderful so far!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful, Carol! I really love the colors you chose, and I'm so happy to hear that you are stretching your creative wings :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful piece, Carol! :) Fun colors and lovely stitching too! I think part of the fun of crazy quilting is that you can just do whatever pops into your head and keep adding and adding. It's such fun! What a fantastic start to what I'm sure will be a beautiful, and creative adventure! Can't wait to see more! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Bohemian style is gorgeous. This piece truly is beautiful and a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, how beautiful! You did an amazing job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, Carol!
    The fabric, the colors, the stitching, the bird!!!!!
    I LOVE it! xoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work, the colours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a beautiful block! I love your fabric choices and the different stitches you've used. And I really like the way you are making your own style. I've always liked crazy blocks but I've yet to attempt one. I'll look forward to seeing you go on with these. Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.