Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Coyotes Live in Our Neighborhood




After our last snow event, my brother in law plowed our driveway.  He cleared an area off to the side in the grass where I could put bread for the crows.  Three LARGE crows live in a nearby pine stand and frequently visit our yard.

One morning I went out to get the newspaper and found tracks like these in that small clearing.  I had never seen any like them before, but since I wasn't over the flu bug yet, I didn't pay much attention to them.

In Sunday's newspaper, there was an article about Coyote living in DOWNTOWN Chicago in a field area.  An estimated 2000!!  National Geographic went in a put a camera on 6 of them to track their movement.  Video showed that they actually looked both ways before crossing streets.  They are nocturnal, so people don't really see them much.  In urban areas they feed on small animals and scraps of food they find.

In that same Sunday paper, their was an article in the local section about a trapper in Osceola (where I live) who was called to a farm in my area because the farmer what finding cat carcasses on his property.  He feeds the feral cats and they control mice in the barn.  The trapper has trapped 11+ coyotes on that farm in the last 2 years.  The farm is located very near a very expensive subdivision and golf course.

I live 3 houses off a small highway.  A friend lives on the other side of the highway.  Behind his house are acres of field.  He tells me that he sees Coyote back there all the time. We used to trap feral cats and take them to the Humane Society.  We started trapping them because they were just taking over the neighborhood.  They would have litters in the shed and under our deck. Sadly, we  would also find them dead on the highway.  Recently, we realized that we haven't seen kittens. So I guess, based on the tracks that I found, and the story in the newspaper we have a coyote visiting at night.  Luckily our property is fenced.

11 comments:

  1. There must be an abundance of coyotes regardless where you live. My oldest grandson went coyote hunting this past weekend, but didn't see any. They have seen them close to their house in the country. I saw in the news about downtown Chicago. Hope you have a good day. Hugs and Prayers from your Missouri Friend Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get them too as there is a wooded ravine near us that they use. My husband has to be careful when he puts out the garbage bins in the early morning for pick up. He never knows what he'll find walking up the drive way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life will find a way... I remember that line from the movie Jurassic Park. And i think it is so true.. Those golf courses are probably a little oasis to them .....I hope you get to see one! Hubs and i were amazed this past weekend at Mt Diablo. Pine trees growing right out the cracks in rocks..Life will find a way.... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. not only scary but they seem to be very destructive and not afraid of humans? We do hear them in our forest but they never come near or property...we have critter riddler sprayed all around the parameters of our property

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a news report not too long ago about the numbers of coyotes that are living in Toronto too....we saw one late one night when we were driving home from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No coyote's here yet.:) I agree that life will find a way. Whatever it takes to survive.:) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in a rural area with farmland on nearby property and a river beyond that. On the other side of town, there are train tracks. We only really notice the sound of the train on warm summer nights. A chorus of coyote howls announce the approaching train. One night, it sounded like one of the coyotes was just on the other side of our fence. Aside from that, we have just enjoyed their summer music.

    I am so sorry to hear about the poor cats in your area. I am trying to imagine how 2000 coyotes would be able to survive within a city. The picture it paints in my mind is not pretty for the residents or the coyotes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just popping by to say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment! You have coyotes? I used to have a big enormous garden with loads of foxes, but I suspect that they're a lot less aggressive! Being typically British, I think Coyotes in the garden is a cool thing - I guess I'd feel a LOT different if they attacked my cat! Hope you stay safe. Hugs from Shroo:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have coyotes here as well. They make the strangest noise around 4:30 or 5 in the morning when they have a litter of young...almost scary sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have then here too, Ibelieve my cat fell victim to them and I noticed a precipitus drop in the stray population lately. There have been coyotes in Chicago for a long time. When the ice forms on the lake you would see them out there in the morning looking for fish surfacing. One year a coyote got so bold as to sneak into a subway on Michigan ave. and eat right out of the meat trays! I can't help feeling sorry for the vendor, it probably scared the poor person half to death!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.