Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Gone Girl


It's been a long time since I read a book that didn't involve self improvement, psychology, or some form of crafting.  I used to be an AVID reader, but somehow reading novels slipped away.  Over the years I have collected a few I thought I would enjoy and set them on the shelf for "future" reading. The last novel I read was "The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo" when it was on the best seller list.  Quite a while ago, huh!

Then I saw Gone Girl on the shelf at Walmart.  I had not yet heard anything about it...nothing. The back cover description sounded OK so I picked it up.  Sometime later I started reading...actually I would call it plodding through the beginning.  I didn't much like the author's style and in the beginning scanned though what I found to be too much character thoughts.  But I kept reading.  It got better.  The characters unfolded and I started to see Ben Afflick on the talk show circuit talking about the move.  Well, THAT renewed my determination.  Then the book really did get better, but I still was not at the "can't put it down" level yet.  Then...THEN..I turned from page 291 to Part 2 Boy Meets Girl. POW!!!  The ZINGER that grabbed me. Caught me by surprise.  Pushed me to the "can't put it down level".  But at 2:00 AM I had to and can't wait to get back to it. (If you are reading the book and haven't reached this point...DO NOT turn to Part 2 until you get there).  Now I am seeing what all the hype is.  I EXPECT this book to get even better and after starting Part 2 I KNOW it will.

I don't like to see a movie then read the book.  I often don't mind seeing a movie AFTER reading the book, but usually find that the movie does not live up to a great book.  I can tell you that the movie comes out Friday.  I'm not sure when, but I will DEFINITELY see this movie.  Ben Afflick is the absolute perfect match for the husband in this book.  If nothing else..he has the necessary smile.  If you are reading the book, you will know what I mean.

13 comments:

  1. I seriously think something is wrong with me. This book has to be one of the most popular, loved books in the last decade and I had to force myself through it. The first time I started reading it I couldn't finish. And then, after hearing about it over and over . . . I made myself finish it and thought - "what's the big deal?" I don't know, maybe I better try it again! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay okay you did it... I was not interested in seeing the movie or the book but now you've gone and done it.... I might just have to now!!! and its all your fault. LOL! I'm still reading Strangers by John Saul and it has reached the 'I can't put it down' stage..... I just have to know whats going on with all these people......From doctors..to priests to thieves all connected somehow..... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, between you, the Internet and TV, this is the third time today I've heard of this novel and movie! Yesterday I wasn't aware of it, but I am now. Must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading it last week and haven't been able to get back to it because of lots of duties I have going on. I'm aware of the movie though. I'm staying offline for a while but still popping in to see who is doing what. I'm just not posting till next year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to add this one onto my want-to-read list! We won't, however, mention just how many books are currently shoved under our bed waiting for me to read them. Suffice to say the bed is in serious danger of teetering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you Carol! We read this book for Book Club a few months ago and still smile when I hear of others reading it. Some ladies loved it and some hated it... I really enjoyed it. If you haven't already... Consider reading The Husband's Secret... Wowzer !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be an avid reader myself....somehow that too slowed to a tortoise pace over the years and now I'm lucky if I manage about 6 for the year! I haven't read this one....will go have a squizz at reviews and take a look see. I actually don't like watching a movie after I've read a book - I agree that the nmovie often misses so much and skips the subtle nuances you only get in the book - the only exception being The Lord of the Rings series which I had thoroughly enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the book, but have not read it. As you I used to read all the time, now it seems as audiobooks are more enjoyable as I can stitch while listening. I too like to read the book before seeing the movie....and the movies never seem to be as good as the book.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one for a bit. My DIL started me on the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I had read the first book eons ago but not the rest. Since the Outlander was to be on TV I thought I'd reread it and now I'm thoroughly hooked on the rest of the books in the series and the TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read books that have slugged along in the beginning and then pick up as you go along. I usually give the author about 100 pages then make up my mind if I will continue or not.

    I also prefer reading a book before seeing the movie. The movie rarely matches up to my imagination :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend and I are going to the movie on Monday to see Gone Girl...just came out today so should be good!! I hope...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't found this book yet but it is on my list to be read. I see it has appeared at Costco too. I'm waiting for a cheap used copy or one from paperbackswap. It sounds intriguing! Did you see the Girl With the DT movies? I especially enjoyed the Swedish version ones. They followed the books so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a very plodding reader. Just can't seem to focus very well on fiction. I need a fast-moving plot like the Jack Reacher series to grab me from the start.

    I'm so glad you described the book. I may just give it a try before watching the show. Thank you, Carol.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.