Saturday, August 30, 2014

Finished Class Block



Here is my completed block.

Thank you Kathy Shaw, for offering the class and for all the information that you shared.  It was just what I needed to jump in and begin a CQ journey.

I learned so much.  It's funny how you can look at a block and think it looks great.  Then you see a picture and are able to better critique your work.  I see the purpose in having a center focal point to fix your gaze before your eyes move around the block.  I want to further study that aspect of CQ.

I look forward to the next class and can only say that I dearly wish I had begun CQ long ago.

I learned that my best stitching area is in my room where I can close the door.  When I was set up at the dining room table, the dogs liked to bother me by nudging my arm which often caused me to pull the silk ribbon all the way through the fabric, when it was supposed to sit fluffy on top.

I also know that would try other brands of ribbon on future project to test what I like the best.  If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.  This project is done with YLI, however I just got an order from silk ribbon.com which I haven't used yet.

I think future work will probably involve threads more than ribbons but we'll see.

I like stitching with a hoop. I like the tube hoop. I bought two about 30 years ago and never used them until this project.  I found a smaller one ( 8 x 8) at Hobby Lobby and grabbed it.  I will give stitching without a hoop and determine which I like better. I always bead embroider without one so it will be interesting to see the difference.

In the future, I'll stitch the perimeter of the block in a dark thread.  I came too close to the outer lines here.  I think I will frame the piece with the backing fabric, like you see hexie quilts finished.  I like that look.

So, if you have any tips, suggestions, links to great places to purchase supplies I would love to know. I thought I had a lot, but I don't ~lol~.  So much for what I thought was my "Retirement Fund".

Have a great holiday.

15 comments:

  1. It's lovely, Carol. I know what you mean about the dogs. At least I'm only typing at the computer when Sadie nudges me to be petted or played with. Nothing so delicate as your beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautifully! I have no suggestions for you, it looks perfect. Oh other than you are right, a little too close to the edge with your stitching, hope you can back and frame it up without too much trouble. I"m going to have to look up tube hoop, not sure what that is. Mostly I work free hand but sometimes a hoop is just the thing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your roses! even where the dogs messed you up(not that I know where that is ;) take one of Sharron boggins Cq classes next she will help you further your design choices and give you a more "organic"way to design your own blocks.
    I like river silk for most things but I love gloriana though they are hard to come by. there is a silk ribbon seller on ETSY that i use, though I cant remember her name right now. she favorited in my list. hmmm...... 2 years ago I discovered "edmonds" stretcher bars for doing my cq on. Heaven! they are sold in 2's and are wood bars from 4"-38" long so you can mix and match 'em. they saved my tail doing the unckle monk project!
    I'm so glad you are cqing again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray ~ you finished your first piece. Your did a LOT of stitching.

    Thanks for the link to the silk ribbon you got. I bought mine from Thread art, but will try your place next. I like it that you can buy 25 yds. at a time.

    I need to use up what I have right now first. :-)

    I use hoops and also bought a universal hoop floor stand. It is so nice to have one hand free.

    It's all a learning experience and practice makes us better.

    Have fun!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess I'm still a Novice, still see much beauty in this. I have enjoyed following your progress as you stitched, and this result is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge hoop user, but I do like them when I'm doing French knots. For supplies, have a look at the lists of places that Pam Kellogg has on her blog (kittyandmedesigns.blogspot.com). She has a pretty comprehensive list of suppliers and she's adding to it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to say how lovely your block is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a lovely piece!!! So relaxing too isn't it!!! Good luck on your next class too!!! Can't wait to see your projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a lovely piece!!! So relaxing too isn't it!!! Good luck on your next class too!!! Can't wait to see your projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Demolish the 'retirement fund' with a new hobby! LOL! Love how your block turned out Carol!! I can see how your suggestions of a central image might work better but i still love this one! I think you and CQ have a wonderful future together. :) I'm so happy you found something you love to do girlfriend. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. your block is so pretty...the more you cq the more you will fall in love with it...good luck in the future with your new skill...someone suggested that you take a Sharon Boggin class in the future, unfortunately she will no longer be teaching online classes after she finishes up the ones she is doing now...but there are some great teachers out there to learn from...but as you have a great foundation through Kathy, you should be able to take what you have learned and run with it...there are many who can help if you run into a question or problem...happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol I'm so happy for you. Your work came out beautiful and you learned fast. Hope your fingers aren't hurting too much. The colors are divine and what a beautiful pattern. That would make a beautiful print on canvas. Well done girl:::shaking your hand:::Tee hee. Have a great Sunday and week ahead. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your block is so pretty Carol. I have never done anything like this so I do not have any advice to offer.

    Looks like you have analyzed your first piece pretty well and have some good ideas for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOu did a beautiful job - very very nice - so glad you are enjoying this fun process! Mary in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your block looks great I like all the different stitches and colors. Check out thrift shops for fancy fabrics and silk also you may luck into some books and lace there as well. Ribbonsmyth is a great place to find fancy fabrics and silk ribbon.
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.