Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Corey's First Sanctioned Fight-Winner!!

My father was a big boxing fan.  We used to watch the Friday Night Fights on TV.  That was a long time ago.  When I met Terry, he was a fight fan too.  Ali right up to today.

 I remember when MMA fighting first came on the scene. Too gorey for me.  I never watched.

Then, when Corey started 9th grade at a new school an 11th grade group of boys took an instant dislike to him and he was horribly bullied.  My daughter suggested that he take self defense classes.  From the moment he stepped in the gym he found his nitch.  He has trained religiously in some form of Martial Arts and Boxing.  At 16 he attained a Blue Belt in Jiu Jitsu.  The test was brutal but he stood the test. He has continued to train at the Midwest Martial Arts gym under the instruction of Todd Brown who has fought professionally.

Corey's first sanctioned amateur fight was on May 17. His opponent's record was 8-1.  It's 8-2 now after he submitted to Corey in about 2-1/2 minutes.  Corey used a MMA  technique called an Arm Bar.




Here's a collage of pics from that night.

I am so happy for him.  It might not be what I would choose for him, but he has trained for this for so many years.  Even if he never makes it to bigger venues, his dream is to open a gym.






Adrenaline release!!

The disc Jockeys on the radio station that is a sponsor of The Midwest Martial Arts League were talking about Corey on Monday Morning commenting about how good he was on Saturday.







Proud Papa.

You could never know how close these two are.


Congratulations Corey.
We are so very proud of you.

12 comments:

  1. How wonderfully exciting that he won his first fight so resoundingly! Congratulations! Happy for him and for you. Is that you in the one photo with Corey's arm around you? You are tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Corey!!!!!
    Never watched fighting or boxing. Not my thing. But i totally understand you supporting him in anything he does. We do that for our kiddos don't we!? Wishing him all the best with his dream of owning a gym. I know he'll make it happen! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. To your son Carol. It's good to know that he has his future in mind. You've raised him good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son took Tae Kwon Do and earned his black belt. He loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definite congratulations are in order! I'm not a 'fighter' and it's not something I ever watch on tv, but I can certainly admire the amount of training that goes into it. We have a niece and nephew who are really high up in karate and it's been great for them. Certainly wouldn't want to try to tackle either one of them in a dark alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowowoow that is awesome!!!!! Really a great story with a wonderful outcome. Congrats Cory.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan

    No, that is my daughter. We look a lot a like, though I am 5'4 and she is 5'6. Corey is 6'4 and if I want to get a good hug from him, I stand on the dining room chair.​

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gloria

    Corey is my oldest grandson, but we certainly did have a hand in raising him.

    He's grown into a fine young man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Corey...he took a bad situation of being bullied and turned it into something positive. All the time and training have taken dedication....good for Corey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow! Congratulations to your son and to you the proud parents! My son was going to do this same thing for the fact that he loved martial arts.......but then he joined the Navy and is now on a sub. LOL So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go Cory! I know the pride you feel for him, and how grateful you are for his achievements. Our second son connected with Aikido in high school, gave him great confidence, and he now owns his own dojo in Chicago as well as is currently building a Zen temple in WI. He is also now an ordained Zen priest in the Buddhist tradition at his age of 46. It's a life long commitment that brings confidence and peace. I learn from him continually. You will from Cory as well!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.