Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bead WIP


Though I have a couple of other projects in the works, I needed something that I could work on intermittently during the day and while the TV is on.  Often I sit with Terry while he watches something I'm not interested in, but I like to "watch" too because we do chat during commercials. Besides, some shows you can be aware of what is going on without really watching.

I have collected quite a bit of crafty supplies over the years that I have always called my Retirement Stash. I figure I can work for a long time without having to buy much to complete projects.  I saved a set of chipwood stacking boxes with the thought that sometime I would make use of them.  I am beading an elephant for the top of this one and will line the inside with suede or velvet, depending what is in my stash. The box is 8" in diameter.  I'm beading on Nicole's Bead Backing.  I bought a sample pack a while ago and this is the first time I used it.  I really like it and wish I had used it before when I made several beaded pendants and pins.  Most everyone that does bead embroidery knows how great this product is.


Here is a pic of the progress so far.  I'm hoping this turns out as I envision it.  It's meant to be a gift for someone special, but I won't say who until its done and I know if its gift worthy.

The project is shown here on a tray I like to use when I stitch while sitting in my recliner.  Its a plastic tray that I found at Walmart in the party department and cost about $1.50.  I have several.  They stack nicely.  I usually keep tubes of the beads I am using on one next to my chair.  Then when I put aside the tray I am using while stitching, I can just put it on top of the tube tray.  The little dish I use to put beads in is actually a 4" ceramic glazed plant pot saucer.  The saucers stack nicely, don't take up much space and I can keep beads separated nicely in them.  The lips on both the tray and saucer keep beads in check.  I use other trays that I have glued suede to and use them in place of a beading mat, but this set up works great for both beading and embroidery.

16 comments:

  1. I think this is going to turn out better than you think! and you won't want to gift it to anyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like this is going to be a pretty box Carol. I love how organized you are with your materials. Doesn't a little organization make a project go smoother?

    Can't wait to see your finished box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bosco is so sweet looking. Did he....um...tear up a brown teddy bear?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your elephant is going to be adorable!!!! Glad you posted pics of your work area and trays!!! Thanks. I have never used the bead backing. I keep wanting to try something different...might give it a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an interesting project you are working on. I've never done much in the line of beading.

    I am your newest follower.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing what you are working on! It'll turn out great :)
    Wonderful to catch up with you a little on the blog, the pups are gorgeous. I'd sneak either one of them away if I could lol. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol. Wow, that's pretty good amiga. You are keeping yourself busy. Nicole is a good friend of mine and many time I have wanted to learn to bead but my arthritic fingers just don't listen. With these fingers going in the direction they are going, I will cry if I can no longer paint. I can hardly wait to see your elephant work. Good luck and have lots of fun. You deserve it after having worked so hard all those year. Take care dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carol,
    Love your clever ideas for bead trays and bead dishes!
    Your elephant is the cutest. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. If it comes out as beautifully as the motorcycle pendant you made for your SIL (?), it will be fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol, Love your blog and look forward to following along. Happy Spring! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carol. Your project is going to be wonderful. Happy Spring. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean about having 'tv-time' projects. That's when I do my knitting and crocheting. Most of the time I am totally not interested in whatever is on tv, but like you say, it's together time with my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have a great start on your project...will be looking forward to seeing this completed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look forward to seeing your elephant upon completion, I'll bet it is going to be quite wonderful. I've never tried Nicole's bead backing, what makes it better than other things? I too enjoy having some hand work to do during TV time. It is amazing how much one can follow the story without having to watch it for many shows although I couldn't do that while watching the movie All is Lost starring Robert Redford.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for dropping by my blog. You beading already looking lovely and I will wait eagerly to see the finished project

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a Fun project Carol and no doubt it will be gift worthy!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your beaded elephant is already looking beautiful! This is going to be one very special gift! ♥

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.