Sunday, December 29, 2013

What Does Saturday Mean To You?



Mary Ann (Magpie's Mumblings) posted a great thought provoking story.  It made me think about my own thoughts on Saturdays.  Please visit her post here  if you haven't already.

After reading the story, thoughts about my own Saturdays came gushing forward starting with childhood memories.

When I was young, Saturday mornings were spent thoroughly cleaning the house. Top to bottom, wall to wall, behind furniture, washing floors on your hands and knees with a scrub brush. It was set in stone.  When I was in Junior High, I was a cheer leader.  I particularly remember that we were going to the State Championships in Indianapolis...leaving very early.  My mother told me I could only go if I got the Saturday housework done before I went.  I don't remember doing it, but that Saturday rule memory has always stuck with me.  I'm pretty sure it didn't apply when  I got older and got a job in a bakery that required me to be at work at 6 AM on Saturdays.

After I got married, it took a long time for me to shake the Saturday morning ritual.  Terry and I did our own thing on Saturdays. I ran with my friends to the mall, or a show or lunch and Terry ran with his motorcycle friends.  An unspoken rule brought us home by 6 PM to get ready to do whatever the guys conjured up together.  We ran with a crowd of about twelve couples.

Over the years, Saturday mornings were always spent at sport practices and games.  Both when my daughter was young and when my grandsons were involved in "lots" of sports.  We seemed to go from one season to the next with few breaks. But again, it was good family time and you can never give too much support to your kids.

As we got older and settled down, Saturdays became Terry and my day to do errands together. It became a nice day to spend together doing whatever we wanted to and going wherever we needed or wanted to go.  It's still that way today. We truly cherish our Saturdays together and never make any separate plans without consulting one another.

How about you?  How do you spend your Saturdays? I would love to hear your story.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Carol, Sat. were always busy when raising a family and a house cleaning day when working.. Now Sat. and most everyday is a day to just enjoy and be thankful I do not have to work anymore.. It could be a shopping day, travel day or a creative day.. I love them all. I wish you a very Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy your making me think now... lol ... Best i can remember when i was little it was all about Saturday morning cartoons..... then maybe off visiting with my mom to her various family and friends or shopping... Some of the best Saturdays i was left to my own devices and i spent them wondering around in the woods with my German Shepard. I honestly don't think my mom ever made me clean. LOL! i say that kind of sheepishly... but i have no memory of it honestly.

    With my own family i'm sure Saturdays were taken up with my daughters sporting endeavors or band events or some such thing...then camping... Saturday evenings maybe having friends over to play games or cards......

    Now Hubby and i usually make a day of it. We eat lunch out, catch a movie then do the grocery shopping on the way home. Saturday is usually the day we do whatever we are gonna do outside the home because Sunday is sleep in day, lay around the house day, get ready for another work week day. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturdays growing up were house cleaning, grocery shopping and when the washing machine broke, trip to the Laundromat times! Sundays were for relaxing. We didn't do sports and Girl Scout meetings were held after school on other days. After my mom got sick with MS the bad Saturdays left and life was less about keeping everything so spiffy. My kids did their share growing up but not all on Saturdays.

    Now, Saturdays and most days are a little of this and that and not too much of anything!

    Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child, Saturday meant no school (yes!!!), morning cartoons, and allowance day (We got 50 cents - but only AFTER we thoroughly cleaned our rooms and they passed inspection!).

    As a young teen, Saturday was dance night... as an older teen, it was date night!

    As an adult, Saturday has always been a combination of family time, chores, shopping, and fun.

    Now that hubby is retired, any day can be Saturday. We now enjoy the chance to shop or eat at a restaurant on days other than Saturday - which is a treat because it's less crowded!

    Nice post, Carol! :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAH! Half the time the only reason I am aware that it is Saturday is that the husband and the teenager are home with me all day! Oh my goodness, I rarely know what day of the week it is anymore.

    I long ago rebelled against housework on the weekends since I was not allowed to go anywhere until it was done on Saturday. Then after T-man and I had been married for about a year I started selling beads, so Saturdays would find us at bead shows, bead bazaars, etc.

    Now they tend to be stay at home days or travel to see the grandkids days - they no longer have the same meaning they used to, and I'm sure that sometime in the future they will morph into something new!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh yes, saturday morning clean ups. when married to my X this was a big deal and with three kids to herd and direct, it made my life interesting to say the least. after I left however saturday has become a day of being together, doing chores and "lazing" about. my hose may not be spick and span but I am a much better, calmer person

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this Carol! Reading your post and the rest of the comments has really made me think about and remember Saturdays when I was a child. We didn't have a tv when I was a kid so it was a supreme treat to be invited to visit the older couple that lived across the road from us. They had a tv and Stan and I would sit and watch the wrestling matches with guys like the Midgets and other names I now forget. My 'job' while watching was to sit and knead the big bag of white margarine...in those days it came with a 'bud' of colour that had to be kneaded in. Martha would sometimes let me 'help' her work her big treadle loom while she made rugs. Occasionally I would go back in the evening and watch the Toronto Maple Leafs games. Now Saturdays are pretty much the same as any other day, other than for a standing date for breakfast at a local restaurant with any members of DH's family that can show up.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.