Sunday, January 6, 2013

Critter Update

We've done a lot to attract blue birds to our yard, and to protect them from their enemies when they nest.

Usually, after their nesting is done in the spring, we don't see them again.  I always thought they fly further south for the winter.

Since I work all day, I don't know what goes on at the feeders during the day. Over the holidays, I had a lot of days off and boy was I ever surprised to see bluebirds in the front yard maple tree.  After a few days, I realized that they come every day at about 1:00 and then  again around 4.  I make sure they have a good supply of meal worms.




I put the worms in this feeder.  The holes on the sides are blue bird size, though I have seen the Carolina Wrens eating there too.







There are usually about 10 bluebirds at one time.  Since both broods were 4 each this year, I wonder if the 10 that come now are the parents and the babies.

I tried to get a pic of more of them at one time, but any movement at the window (or when a car goes by) sends them up into the tree.






I love it that all the birds seem to get along at this time of the year.  Mostly we have cardinals, nuthatch, titmouse, chickadees, bluebirds and of course the stinking english sparrows. Lots more varieties come and go.

The hawk still comes...but that's nature.  And I love it when the crows come too. They are amazing birds.


And since this is a critter update, I'll have to mention Rockie and Rickie.  We haven't seen them for a few months.  We figured out that they were hanging out together since they were taking turns at the sandwich bowl.  We surmise that Rockie was a girl and Rickie looked a little more masculine so maybe he was a  boy.  Even though they haven't come to eat, Corey saw them cross the road a few nights ago when he came to visit. We'll probably see little Rockies in the spring.

Opie still comes around too if I put food out.  I try not to now.  We have feral cats living around here.  I suspect that the hawk steals a kitty or to.  I won't tell you how I know...its all nature.

The squirrels still come, but they don't seem to be the same as we had a few years ago.  They are smaller and thinner and their tails are thin.  Not sure what's up with that, but I miss the ones that were around before.   We think the guy across the street was shooting them.  If I had proof, I'd have had the DNR out here faster than he could reload.

Well, that's about it.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, the crows... I love them! Over the last couple of years we've had a bevy of them come into my part of town. Not sure what is bringing them here, but they are my absolute favorites. They're actually very smart too... one became a pet when I was younger (you have lots of strange pets when you grow up on a farm), and you'd be amazed at what they can be trained to do.

    I've got a great many robins, cardinals and blue jays out back too, and in the huge pine tree in front of my window at work there are yellow finches... those were my grandfather's favorites.

    I've got plenty of squirrels... fat and sassy little things... they love to squawk at the dog every chance they get.

    I've also got skunks, at least three (the momma had two babies last spring), lucky me... and opossums, ground hogs, and of course the snake, and all those little snakes that seem to have shown up... and I'm right in the down town area. Cannot imagine what it would be like if I lived in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying again using the web version instead of ipad. I loved this post, we have the same sweet birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha. The stinking English sparrows. Ha! Funny you should mention them.

    I live in the city. My feeders and suet hang on my balcony outside the bedroom. There is a huge sliding glass door for perfect close up viewing. We used to have cardinals, blue jays, chickadees and woodpeckers. Now all we have are sparrows, sparrows and more sparrows.

    Yesterday I was complaining about that being the case. So who do you think paid us a visit? A huge hawk! We were inches from each other. He was just as shocked as I was. He stayed for a full few minutes. He wanted a sparrow! I am happy to help! There were two sparrows under the chair who were too frightened to move for literally hours!

    I hope he comes back soon. He was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,
    How wonderful you have blue birds and that they are sticking around for the colder months (great idea having a feeder with worms in it!). Thanks for sharing the pics - I hope your New Year is off to a good start! :)
    Cheers,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is so strange this year perhaps those bluebirds forgot to fly south in time! Enjoy your animals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bluebirds but we never see them during the coldest months around here!

    Enjoy the wonderful array of birds you have this year. Kind of takes the sting out of winter and makes your favorite season not so hard to wait for . . . am I right? ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love birds. We get quite a variety and they are so different then the birds in Ohio, where I grew up. No robins here...but a lot of hummingbirds and raptors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have blue birds or cardinals but do have crows aplenty. Every morning they wait for me and I take them food out and call, "Crows! Crows!!" they wait till I go back to the house to drop down and feed. I love the birds. I heard the other day that squirrels can live to be 25 years old! I doubt that many have the chance too. I feed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blue birds!I have some in my yard starting in spring..I have a feeder like yours but I have never seen the bluebirds go in. I am going to try it again this spring!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for coming by my blog to see my bird entry. Aren't bluebirds great to watch? I have thought about getting one of those feeders but have not done it yet. They seem to find plenty of grubs in our yard. I have a bluebird house up but no female has been attracted to the male just yet. We shall see if a couple moves in.
    Thanks for your sweet comment about my pillow.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.