Saturday, March 17, 2012

Its a Green Day

Nope, I'm not Irish.  Not even a tiny bit.  Not a smidge. But St. Pat's is a fun day and the nuns always taught us to wear a bit of green on St. Pat's Day or you'll get a pinch.

For some reason, I have been thinking of my grandmother a lot lately. I was a close to her as I could have been. Her name was Laura.

I named my daughter after her.

She loved the Cubs.  When the game was on, the TV was loud and you better not stand in front of it.

She taught me how to crochet.

She cared for my uncle all his life until he succumbed to MS.

She was a fantastic cook.  I loved her paczki, and wonder how the local stores can dare to call what they sell paczki.

Grandma Laura died more than 40 years ago.  I have childhood memories of the time I spent with her. I wish she had lived longer and I could have spent adult time with her.

**an answer to Sweetpea**


I live in an ethnic area, about 150 miles east of Chicago. Our area is rich in Polish people and many of the Polish traditions are celebrated. Paczki (pronounced POOONCHKI) are what some call a jelly filled donut, or a jelly filled bismark, but it has twice as much filling and the donut is super rich. They are eaten on the day before Ash Wednesday when Lent begins (known as Fat Tuesday). Even the Polish bakeries in this area don't make them like Grandma Laura did.

7 comments:

  1. grandparents are such important people... and those of us who are lucky enough to have developed close relationships with ours never do forget all of the ways they made our life special... so glad you have these wonderful memories...
    off to look up paczki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such wonderful memories of her. I too wish I had had my grandmother around longer. But I use what she taught me every day.

    Happy St Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy St. Paddy's Day, Carol...such a lovely story about your grandma and lovely, too, that your daughter shares her name. I am stumped over "paczki" - I have no idea what that is! hopping over to Google now to check it out...

    Enjoy the bit of green :>]]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, it would be marvellous to have both my grandmothers to share experiences with today. Oh, and my handy hubby is polish; but unfortunately I was never introduced to their baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how our ancestors, especially grandparents we knew, start to mean more to us in maturity. I also wish I could spend time with mine now that I appreciate life more. Perhaps that yearning comes from a realization of mortality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There isn't a day I wouldn't think of my grandmas. Especially my paternal one. I treasure the same memories as you do - she was a master knitter, crocheter, a fantastic cook and so much more... and yes, I miss her every day...

    Loved reading your post - through your reminiscence I felt comfort myself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol,
    I loved reading this special post about your grandmother. I was so touched to learn that it was she who taught you to crochet and that Laurie is named for her.

    Even though you didn't get time to spend with her in your adult years - she lives on through you and your relationship with your grandsons. Surely, it was your grandmother who passed on at least some of that very natural talent and ability *YOU* have for grand-mothering. When you think of it that way - she really is still with you and the boys, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.