Saturday, August 13, 2011

Do You Know Who Goethe Is?



Well.  I won't be telling you here.  But I will tell you that he was a German Genius who lived in the early 1800s.  I found out about him surfing around about color.


However, when I read a little about him, I came across the following quote.  His thought parallels  what I have come to realize in the last ten or so years.  For me, it was not a frightening, but enlightening realization.


Here is what he said:


I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming. ~Goethe

Its a passage that we should read often, don't you think? A reminder to look for the good and the positive and face the day with a smile.

I've been away from the blog for a while.  I always shift gears in the summer.  My job has been even more busy than it ever has.  I have been focused on spending time with Terry and the boys.  I have been giving needed attention to Junior. Its part of my "ME" time now and I am happy that it is.  My garden is a jungle due to the high heat and humidity.  Its been all but impossible to work outside.  But!! I have a wonderful container garden on the front deck that has flourished.  I'm sure that I will continue THAT next summer.  NO WEEDS!!

I have been sewing a little, along with a little crochet and a little embroidery.  A little of this and that which are WIP. 

Life is good to me, is it to you?

13 comments:

  1. life couldn't be better - it provides both the lessons and love i require... i am tremendously moved by these words and will be putting them on my refrigerator as a reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh....yes, Carol. We should all read it often. Even in tough times, life can be good in other ways. I have the same kind of garden, over-run with weeds in heat and humidity. It is, indeed, impossible to work out there. A container garden sounds nice. Have you a photo to share of that, or perhaps you have posted one in the past? Sounds like just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweet Lady :-)
    I'm so happy that you are in the midst of a little "ME" time, and that you've been able to work on new projects!


    Thank you for posting the Goethe quote. It's perfect to copy, paste, print, and place in a prominent spot for frequent inspiration. (I just did!)

    I know when *YOU* say the summer is hot . . it's HOT! I'm so looking forward to the relief of autumn temperatures.

    But life *IS* good to me now, also! :-)

    As you know, my fella has recently retired and we are enjoying more time together, and the chance to share new experiences.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting quote. I'm not sure about making the weather, but I believe we do create our moods and perceptions, which leads to creating our reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the greatest contributors in German Romantic period. Most famous for his Faust and the Sorrows of Young Werther! Read him in my post adolescent years!
    Good to have you back! Hope you show us your embroidery :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes Life is indeed good!
    I'm glad to hear it is with you also!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good comment! i hope you are enjoying your "me" time. what are you growing in your container garden?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true, my dear. I would say that in fact things can be good or bad, beautiful or ugly depending on our mood... or at least on how we look at them. But beauty does help, whether it's big beauty as in a landscape or little beauty as in a beetle's shell.
    And life is definitely GOOD, my friend. Take it from me, that's what keeps me fighting even when things don't seem to be that nice. I keep looking for that ray of sun or happy color that will brighten my day...
    Have a wonderful "you" time :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol. Yes life has been good these days and I am so grateful for that. It's been a while since last I came here but then you don't post very often. It's always good to see you. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I do hope you make some prayer flags and hang them on a Monday if you do make some. I would so look forward to seeing that. Thanks again amiga for stopping by. Take care of yourself and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Amy, Jeanne's daughter. Surgery went well. She wanted me to let everyone know she is doing fine. Can you let her online friends know she is doing ok. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming....

    I just love that so I wanted to type it so that it would stick in my brain. Thank you for popping in and telling us what's on your mind. It's always something worth hearing.

    And yes, life is good to me too. xo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have missed this post. Hope you didn't get hit by any of the flooding and you are enjoying the very last bits of summer!

    This is a great quote. It should be on billboards and as required reading before getting to vote!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.