Wednesday, July 6, 2011

They Left and Never Even Said Goodbye

They haven't stopped here for a couple of years.  The last time they did ended in tragedy.  We were heart-broken. The minute I saw this male blue-bird scoping out the houses, I took down the feeders with food that English Sparrows sometimes visit.  It limits what other birds visit, but I didn't want to encourage ES to visit my  yard.
He's calling his mate to check out the new pad. But, poor guy, he should have known she'd find one she liked better.
This one is better, I heard her tweet.  It's not so close to that fence. 


 She doesn't know that the house by the fence was a decoy for the ES.  The entire time the blue-birds made a comfy nursery, the ES male would sit on a house nearby chirping his heart out to attract a female. She must have gotten my message that if she dared, I'd be her home wrecker because she never showed up.  For weeks he chirped and I got sick of hearing him all day long.  Gosh, why didn't his throat get sore!


On with my tale. Finally the blue-bird babies were hatched. I was practically glued to the kitchen window. We had watched the male bring goodies to his mate while she warmed the eggs.  Then we watched as both of them took turns bringing a smorgasbord  of birdie delicacies to the chicks, who chirped wildly all the time waiting for the next course.  As they got older, the chicks only chirped when they sensed the parents were near.



The parents brought moths, green wiggly worms, little white worms and earwigs. I wonder what else they brought that I didn't see. It was difficult to get pictures since the parents would fly off if they sensed any movement nearby.

That's why the area around the bird house looks like this.  After months of an over abundance of rain we needed to clean this area which is near the pond.  But we were convinced it was necessary to give our visitors their privacy in the new parental role.

One day I looked out and saw this tiny face and for a moment, I knew the day was near that the babies would be fledglings.
Then, before I knew it, they were gone and they didn't even say good-bye.

15 comments:

  1. a beautiful story, and so it seems that the ESs didn't get their way this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really did everything you could to be a good host, didn't you? it must have been exciting to have a whole new family of pretty birds there. i read the last line though and felt sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These bluebirds are so beautiful! I don't think we have them around here...
    Don't worry, my friend, they'll be back, I'm sure :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the way with kids? but so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God this story had a happy ending. I kept waiting for you to tell me that the evil ES had invaded and murdered the family.

    SOOOO glad it is a HAPPY ending even though they didn't say goodbye. That's OK> You did a great job giving them a safe harbor and it doens't get any better than that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...don't be sad. I agree, they will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story :) It made me smile on a gray day... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that the way of birds? I'm at my daughter's house and we watched the baby birds (we aren't so savvy as you and so don't know what kind they are) grow up in a nest inside their pool's cave. Yesterday they were gone! We didn't see them leave either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carol,
    We love the eastern bluebirds, too! Such gorgeous coloring. What fun you had during their stay.

    I'll bet they tell their friends and family to be sure and return to your place next year. :-)

    (Great photos!)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely story you share with us Carol!
    I think they will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I haven't seen an Eastern Bluebird for years. The male is so beautiful, and you got a great photo. Marty S
    Crackpot Beader

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey!! How did I miss this!!

    You are a great story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, am I envious of your bluebirds...what a SUCCESS story! We live in an area where conservation folks are trying to reintroduce them. It is slow going. I have only seen one female (perced on dawg's enclosure fence - minus dawg) and that was only for a few moments. I had no houses up at the moment so no chance of nestlings whatsoever. That's changed now but no sign of nary a one...

    Thanks for a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't is awesome to watch nature. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Carol. Loved seeing your blue birds beautiful photos. Lovely garden. Wish I could get them to come to my yard. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.