Friday, July 8, 2011

Second Chance Flowers



This is one of the things I like best about the pond.  We add more water-lilies every year.  We keep a heater in the pond for the fish over the winter and it seems it is helping to keep the water-lilies survive the winters too.  I have several colors now and love every one.

Since we have been staying away from the pond area, we have concentrated on re-landscaping the front of the house.  Rose of Sharon seed themselves here and it can be quite annoying to have to pull the starts out like weeds.  I have been having an issue with my eye that is probably caused by allergies so Terry surprised me one morning and beat me to weed this area.  He is just the best.


I got these petunias in the clearance area at Lowes.  They were pretty much sticks.  But at 50 cents for a container of 6, I figured what the heck.  I bought $5 worth.  I was going to put them in the pond area.  When I went out to prepare the ground a Cardinal started yelling at me so I retreated to regroup.  I looked around for some pots and thought they would probably do well on the front deck.

This one is my favorite.  I love the color contrast.  There are also three long rectangle planters full of them. Terry hung a shelf from the deck rail to put them on.  I also got geraniums in the clearance and they are also doing great.  I have a water soluble fertilizer that I water them with and that must be the secret. 

11 comments:

  1. Terry is such a good guy :)
    Love your pond lilies, I never did get any pink ones blooming... just the white ones.
    Your flowers are looking wonderful, what a great second chance they got with you! makes me wonder what I can go find in the clearance areas for flowers... now if the heat would just stop frying everything :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know... I have a "magic window" at work where I put all the flowers that are "not doing so well" (which really means on their last leaf). Not so long ago I put an african violet there, had two leaves left... it's got three batches of blooms going right now. I swear that it has to do with the east light and all of the "crap" floating in the air. I work in an area of agriculture where we test fertilizer... I think that has to be part of the reason they end up working so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The water lilly is one of the flowers for my birth month, your photo is lovely. All those petunias needed was your green thumb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your petunias are just gorgeous! How great that your green thumb was able to turn them into such prize-winners. :-)

    Like you, I love the second one best, but that cup and saucer on the first one is adorable! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your petunia Carol. How sweet of your hubby. He looks pretty busy. I love the colors of the petunia. Enjoy your summer Carol and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures that reveal a bit of the paradise you are growing there! And I can only imagine the lovely pond with beautiful lilies inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your petunias look nice now! Are you sure your eye issues are allergies? Hopefully that is all it is. I just had mine checked worrying about a detached retina (which I have had in my other eye years ago) but it's okay for now. If you are seeing lots of floaters or have dark spots have them checked out. If it's just itchiness it probably is just allergy. It's been a long season for allergies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carol ~ what a great petunia score! I too have found some great deals in Lowes discount area (that's where those variegated dogwoods came from...$3 for a one gallon pot), always worth it to check there when I go into town. I agree with you on that last picture...WOWZER. Very sweet of your fella to weed like that :>]]

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got that green thumb workin girl! Gorgeous planters. Those cardinals do tend to let you know when not to bother them don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lily is almost as beautiful as Terry. Lucky woman, you.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.