Sunday, June 5, 2011

New Birds Are Visiting

We have lived in this house since 1976.  From the very first year, we saw Orioles flying by from a nearby yard.  They never stopped at our house, but we saw them every year.  I have tried to lure them with everything I ever read that Orioles like.  No Luck.


I always have suet for the Woodpeckers.  We have several varieties that live near, probably because we have a dying tree in the back yard.  They all love to eat the Sunflower suet I put at the feeders. About a month ago, I bought a suet I had never seen before...No Melt Apple Dough.  Let me tell you that from the first day I added it to the feeders I was visited by both the male and female Orchard Oriole.  They LOVE it. They come several times a day.  The other birds have shunned the other suets and are eating the new one exclusively. Who knew!


This is the male.  Its been really hard for me to capture a picture. They are very alert to humans and don't stick around if I even come near the door.


Believe it or not, this is late afternoon.  Even though it got dark with a storm threatening, this male just kept mowwing that suet.


This is a Weigela in the back yard.  I saw a lot of movement in it and took a really close look.  I don't know how to edit a picture to draw a circle around the bird.  If you double click the picture, you will see orange near the bottom.  The Oriole is taking nectar from the pink flowers.


Another new regular visitor is a Flicker.  We also have a pair of Grey Cowbirds that I have never seen before.  Their call sounds just like a kitty mewing.  Bluebirds are nesting in one of the Blue Bird houses. Thankfully an English Sparrow has been calling for a mate every day, ALL DAY, forever with no takers and the wrens moved on too so maybe, just maybe the Blue Birds will have an easy time of it.


Oh, I caught a frog with my hand the other day!  Terry called me to look at it because it had a kind of pointy nose.  Without a thought I just reached down and picked it up.  I think it startled both of us that I did it so quickly.  You may remember that Terry banned the big frogs last year because they were eating his fish.  That hasn't hit him yet this year.  I asked him if he wanted to take the frog down to the river and he told me to throw him back in.  Didn't have to ask ME twice.  I love my frogs.


Blessing abound in my world, how about yours?

9 comments:

  1. who knew birds were suet connoisseurs! (just what is a suet?) your neighbors will soon be missing their orioles and will be none too pleased to realize that you took them. lol but they had them for so many years. surely it's your turn for a while! especially because of all your efforts to get them to come over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds are picky evidently! Wow, you've been in the same house forever! I'd say it's a nice thing then to get some different birds around the house. I'm glad you got to put the frog back in the pond. Tell Terry to just buy more fish! I had a dog that would stand in my dad's tiny pond forever waiting for the goldfish to come out from under the rocks. Dad couldn't keep him supplied with enough fish to keep some in the pond too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing about your birds! It's interesting that one little thing different is all it took to lure them over :)

    We don't have any bird houses, no where to put them. Our neighbors had bluebirds breeding like crazy behind us though and they come visit our place all the time. Then we have the meadow birds which are too many to name, a red tailed hawk that has decided we're part of his territory, a pair of what I think are Goshawks, and of course "my" rook of ravens that visit. Isn't it nice to be able to enjoy our animal friends :)
    Oh.. and tons of frogs in the old fishpond too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a peaceful post, Carol. It's so easy to focus on other things and miss the beauty in our natural world. Thanks for the reminder. We have woods around us, and our feeders usually attract Tufted Titmice, Chickadees (the cutest!), Juncos, Goldfinches and an occasional Bluebird. We also see (and hear) Red-bellied Woodpeckers around, but never so loud as when they decide there's a tasty morsel in our roof gutters. It's like living inside a drum when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you're lucky to have Orioles! We don't see them here.

    Also very happy to hear about "Froggy"! :-)

    (Hope he has several friends and that Terry is ok with that!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it seems you found their 'thing'! My granddad kept canaries and I loved being woken up by their singing! I can only imagine the music you are honored to witness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a LOT of activity. I have to admit...it took me forever to find that oriole in the orange flower picture! PHEW! You are so lucky to have bluebirds....I just hate those English sparrows and will do anything to keep them out of my yard. If I even hear one out in the yard, I want to run and get a shotgun(which I don't own, but I dislike those birds so much that I just might buy one one day)...I always tease Jack that one day when I'm old and in a nursing home and he comes to visit and the staff says that I'm really agitated and they can't figure out why...it will be because a pair of those English housesparrows have nested outside my window!

    Honestly, I am normally a tame, loving gal for most creatures...but those birds are relentless and will peck the bluebird mother to death while sitting on her eggs...toss everything out and take over. They nest five times per year and bluebirds only three...I toss their nests out every time I find one...

    *sigh. OK. Glad I got that out of my system...

    Love you, Susan

    P.S. Don't you have your new choppers now??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Birds were late here with all our rain. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh. the lilly brought me back to my childhood. we use for used to spend 2 weeks every summer at these cabins on a lake, and we would take the boat out and paddle through all the water lillys looking for frogs or turtles.

    Thanks so much for sharing that. It brought back great memories!

    Makes me want to make a lilly necklace now.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.