Sunday, January 2, 2011

Is It A Promotion or Lateral Move??

That was the question.

On Monday when I return to work, I will be the manager of the shipping department. Its a newly created position. It means more responsibility in one regard.  But it also takes away other responsibilities.  That's the lateral part.  Managing the department.  That's the promotion part.  I could have said no.  Since this is part of a restructuring of responsibilities of a couple people, it would not have been offered to someone else.  The changes would have just been structured differently.  But, if there is a sign that the economy is improving, evidence of it may very well be seen in the company where I work.  We have grown and my job has become more than one person has time to do.  Its going to be different.  Less stress. But managing someone else's time will be a challenge that I haven't had to deal with for at least 10 years.  Did I tell you that a new shipping person starts Monday too?  Training a new person will be a challenge too.

My friend Maire Dodd posted about keeping an open heart.  She always seems to give me a reminder just when I need it.

So lateral move or promotion.  No matter.  Its another area of my life where I am going to have to learn to ...delegate.

15 comments:

  1. how about a lateral promotion? you'll be learning something new, that's never a bad thing. think optimistically! k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a change... based on growth no less...change, and growth are good, right? Heaven knows I would LOVE the opportunity for growth at work, but it seems a dead position with no room for any movement forward. Change for me just has to come in other areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope your new position goes well for you. it is exciting to hear now and again little signs of the economy improving. let us know how it is going once you get your feet wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Surely some good learning experience will come of it besides the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy that is putting your resolution to the test! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and good luck with your new position! Challenges expand our horizons :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! for you. I hope you enjoy your new responsibilities. It's always good to stretch a bit...it keeps the synapses firing! Happy New Year to you, dear Carol. I'm so glad to spend another year in your cyberspace. xo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lateral or promotion it is a source of income and I just know you will do great. The cards you made are great and I know the kids will appreciate them, well what is in them - LOL. My kids get money too and/or gift cards, but they each get a small present of some kind. The presents are for me more than them. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Carol!. I hope all goes well for you and it is a good sign. I'll be mailing your bangle tomorrow and a couple of other goodies. Take care, good luck in your new position and you will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the sound of the "less stress" part.

    I have the utmost faith in you, Carol. You have the brains AND the experience to thrive in this new position. The company is lucky to have your versatility.

    Enjoy the chance to have some variety in your workday!
    Love ya,
    Crystal xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. A new challenge for a new year...I know you're up to it and am hoping it will end up being a blessing to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck in your new position!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you enjoy your new position. That is really the scariest part of it all - that you might not like your new job as well as your old one. I sure hope you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated Congratulations! I'm finally getting around to blog catch-up and just read this! It sounds like it's going to be a challenge in the delegation area for you. It's hard to let go and let someone else do things that we know we can do better and faster. The learning curve for them to catch-up seems so steep! I hope it's going well - probably hard to say much after three days but good luck with it. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year Carol, and good luck in your new position!...I totally enjoyed watching the Christmas house video...I watched it twice! Have a fun weekend! xo Paulette

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.