Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Celebrate Who You Are!


If  I were to name the theme of my 1st BJP year, it would be Discovering Who I Am.  This year I have named my theme Celebrate Who I Am. 

 Remember after my rather dark February post I promised something fun this month. Taking another item from my "list" I decided to choose music.  I love just about all kinds of music. I especially love guitar blues.  I could listen to Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and oooooo.....Stevie Ray Vaughn all day long.  I like lesser known artist also.  One I like a lot is a guy out in California, Cody LePow.  I am also compelled to tell you that my very favorite song of all time is Harlem Nocturne by the Viscounts. Fantastic Sax!

BUT, one of my Go To albums is Santana's Supernatural.  This album was marketing genius. In his comeback album, Carlos collaborated with a different popular artist on just about every cut of the album.  My favorite three cuts are
Love of My Life, Smooth,  and Put Your Lights On.

Put your lights on
Put your lights on

There's a monster living under my bed
Whispering in my ear
There's an angel with a hand on my head
She says I've got nothing to fear.

Did you worry about monsters when you were a kid?  The first monster show I saw was The Tingler with Vincent Price.  Pretty hokey, even then.  But the  movie that scared the crap out of me back then was The Creature From The Black Lagoon.  I remember being scared to go in our basement after I saw it, and our basement was like another living room with tile, light green walls  and a ceiling!!  I must have been pretty young then,  because I remember loving to stay up and watch Creature Feature on WGN transmitting from Chicago.





I'm sure I probably looked like this when some scary scene came on the screen.  But I still LOVED  scary movies.  I grew up on Bella Lagosa (Dracula), Lon Chaney (the Wolfman) Vincent Price (perfect in any spooky role) and Frankenstein and his Bride.  When I got older they made scary movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th and Halloween. And THAT is when I stopped watching scary movies.  When they became BLOODY movies.




So here is my piece inspired by the song.  Me and my Monster are created from Shrinky Dinks.  Don't you just love to say "Shrinky Dinks"?  Doesn't it just make you chuckle?

I celebrate me by making fun of my childhood fears and hopefully I have shown that even though I am a pretty serious person, I DO have a playful side.

What would YOUR monser look like?

20 comments:

  1. Cute monster and great hair on your face...(yeah shrinky dinks makes me smile).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This little monster is soooo CUTE!

    I'm *still* afraid of monster movies! LOL.

    But this fella looks friendly!

    He could be related to the Maine Monsters because he appears to have a lobster claw! He could also be a distant cousin of the one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people-eater! He does have some of the same traits. ;-)

    As always, Carol, you present a wonderfully unique and very creative piece. And your descriptions are always the crowning touch!

    xoxo
    Crystal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like your monster Carol, and the scary face with it. What funn. I think i would have to do the Purple People Eater - one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater!! Oh, how funny - i just read what others have said and someone else thought of the "PPE". Great minds!! Kaite

    ReplyDelete
  4. shrinky dinks! omg...how cleeever! i would never have thought to do that. what a creative mind you have! i looove the fibers coming off for the hair. did you glue the beads onto your monster? this piece is fantastic! so much fun, i think it's whimsical and full of fantasy. it's just awesome!!! the scariest movie i ever saw as a kid was the exorcist. had nightmares for weeks. my "monster" was under my bed. could never leave a finger or toe hanging off the edge. once when i was small my older brother hid under my bed and when it was nice and dark reached out and grabbed my leg! no wonder i'm afraid of under the bed. anyhoo...i think your piece is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you faced your monsters head on in this piece, and somehow combined it with music. Or was it the other way around? Isn't it great how our thoughts can take us to so many places?

    My monsters were in the Wizard of Oz. I watched most of the movie from behind the couch, popping up now and then. The movie was on once a year. I still don't think I've seen the full version.

    Have a great day.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this did make me smile too! What a great idea to use Shrinky Dinks -- the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great piece Carol! The shrinky dinks are a great idea. Why haven't I thought of that? I hate scary movies. Even The Birds gave me nightmares. I didn't see Psycho but had nightmares (maybe I should have seen it).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great piece Carol... I love your shrinky dinky monster... and that face is priceless!! I like that you put the sun between the two..

    Thanks for linking to my favorite music man... CD out soon !

    Oh and I still have a "thing" about the closet door being open... it was a little hard when Missy had it off the track for those few days...

    Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya Carol! Happy St. Pat's to you, Sweetie! What a fun post indeed! I LOVE your monster art!!!
    I'm a country girl at heart when it comes to music, with a few exceptions, like Michael Buble, who just makes my heart go pitter pat. I love Eric Clapton too...Layla is soooo good, both versions, but the one from the seventies knocks my socks off every time!!! As far as scary movies go, I'm with you. There's too much blood and gore now...I'll take the oldies anytime! I saw The Exorcist when I was a kid, and then I slept on the floor of my parent's bedroom for a week! I still can't watch that one! Have a great day wearin the green! xoxo's Paulette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job - I never would have thought of using Shrinky Dinks to create custom pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely, by far, without a doubt, my favorite bjp post. You have explored yourself on so many levels...the playfulness of using shrinky dinks...the story of what you love and why and wonderful way you translated into beads. I LOVE it!

    P.S. I never knew you were serious...hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this!! Most of our monsters are truly in our minds -- so making fun of them is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you've used the shrinky-dinks, how fun! Glad I wasn't the only one that had the purple people eater song start running through the head LOL.

    I'm not big on scary movies, when I was younger it was guaranteed I'd have nightmares if I watched any although not so much now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! Inspiration, creation, art.

    Stop by my blog and join in on my birthday giveaway.

    http://beadwright.blogspot.com

    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shrinky Dinks! Wonderful idea! This is really cute & a great way to deal with monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so fun! I love your monster and you with the standing up hair (hee hee!) I love scary movies - my all-time favourite is The Shining (yes, it is bloody but really it is a psychological thriller). I was never afraid of monsters hiding in the cupboard but I did get terrified of the 'Seaweed' monster in Dr Who! I wouldn't go in the sea for ages after that!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sweetie! I just wanted to hop over and thank you for your sweet visit! Have a great Sunday! xo Paulette ;)...that monster is really cute!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.