Wednesday, November 18, 2009









Timaree, Freebird Sings, posted this meme. Since Thanksgiving is one week away, and I feel unable to focus tonight on all the things I SHOULD be doing, here you are:
1. Which do you like better: Cooking at your house, or going elsewhere?
I never like to go somewhere else. We have our Thanksgiving tradition. I make the boys get up to watch the Macy's parade while I watch and get the bird going. We eat kind of later in the day, about 3:00. Its a quiet enjoyable day to enjoy with my daughter and her boys. Terry always helps me clean the kitchen, too!
2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird?
We buy the frozen birds that are on sale for $5-$7 at the grocery store. This year Walmart had them for .40 per lb, so I bought two and will probably make another for Christmas.
3. What kind of stuffing?
I make stuffing with onions, celery and mushrooms. Its the dressing that my mother always made and my family loves it.

4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie?
We have pumpkin pie, always. Sometimes there are other fruit pies, but we ALWAYS have Pumpkin.
5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing?
We HATE leftover turkey, but we love ALL the other trimmings so I always make plenty to have the next day.
6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu?
Polish noodles. Everyone loves my noodles, and even though I make them every month or so, they are expected to be part of the Thanksgiving meal.
7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock?
NO! We give away the left over bird. We really don't like turkey much.
8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier?
Nothing. I have done this meal so many times, its not a hastle at all. I wouldn't mind having the day before off to fuss with the house, but that's about it.

9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour?
We get up at the normal time. Dinner is usually around 3 p.m. or whenever everything is ready.
10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring?
We NEVER go somewhere else for a holiday dinner. We like the leisure of our own home and hate to rush to someone elses time schedule. However, when I go to someone elses for a dinner, I usually take a box of quality chocolates for the hostesss. She has her own menu so I don't take food.

11. What do you wish one of your guests wouldn't bring to your house?
Food. I would prefer they don't bring food. Just bring themselves!!
12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see?
I don't spend time with people I don't enjoy. Never. I made that a rule of life 25+ years ago.

13. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu?
Dressing and gravy. Its the meal for me!
14. What are you thankful for this year?
For my husband. He is everything. As long as we are together, everything is right.
If you would like to do this meme feel free to take it. Let me know if you do it so I can come read your answers!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Carol! That was fun! I loved reading your answers, and we're similar in so many ways! I love being home for the holidays too, and even though I cook the bird, I don't eat it. I make my meal out of all the yummy sides...and like you, I have to make large batches, so they last through the next day...I've never heard of polish noodles, you'll have to share your recipe one of these days! Hope all is well. Hugs, =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your recipe for Polish Noodles? I've never heard of them. Great answers. I always thought my kids would grow up and come home for Sunday dinners but since my husband kept us moving too often until the last seven years that never happened. I love family more than anything. I am so glad yours will be with you over the holiday. We ended up with only two turkeys this year so we'll eat more of the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I could come to your house and be very happy there, my friend.

    Like Timaree, I would like the recipe for Polish noodles too! Jack loves noodles so if there is something that your boys like the likelihood that my boy will like it too is very high. Have a joyful and blessed day, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just the two of us this year...everyone in my family is "busy" & since I have to work, Chris is thinking of just grilling steaks or a meatloaf...so yes! beef for us.
    dot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a riot that little turkey cartoon is! :-)

    Well, I guess it's no surprise that I agree with most of what you say here, Sis - especially that there must be pumpkin pie!!!! Oh yeah - it's good for dessert (or breakfast, or a snack, or lunch, or dinner ;-) Did I mention that I LOVE it?)

    But, as you say, dressing IS the meal so we always make sure there is plenty!

    As far as being thankful for the husband - that's for sure :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your answers,we are not big Turkey fans either so this year we are having a standing rib roast! The kids live to far away to come home, so we get to choose the menu and don't have to feel guilty about not following tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family lives too far away to come for both thanksgiving and christmas, so we do thanksgiving for friends who also don't have family near and wait until december to see the family...
    Love pumpkin pie too and there would be snits if we skipped it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo I'm going to put the thanksgiving meme on my blog too... love your answers, and hey, would love your recipe for Polish noodles, too, if you are willing to share! Have a great one, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Your turkey day sounds like our turkey day. Only differences...no mushrooms in dressing, haven't made polish noodles, dinner is more around 4:30-5:00 or when bird decides to be done, will have all leftovers the next day and I sometimes make turkey noodle soup...if I'm in the mood! ;-)

    Absolutely *love* dressing and gravy...I make double the amount of dressing and a ton of gravy. But my boys would tell you it's all about the mashed potatoes and gravy. Pumpkin Pie is a must...and if we are too full...we often have it for breakfast!

    I couldn't agree with you more about being thankful for your husband!! XO ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first stop at your blog. When I read the Polish noodle answer I wondered if you were from IN and was surprised to see you were. I am from Mishawaka and my mom was Polish so I love the noodles.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.