Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bird Battles


This is a male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. We saw one ONCE last year at our feeder. Saturday morning there were several males in the tree by the feeder and later in the day some females arrived. We were tickled to have a new bird breed hanging out at our house. Boy were we wrong!
If you follow my blog, you will recognize this as the feeder that I bought especially for my Cardinals. I never mind when other birds visit, I just try to keep the squirrels out. (I forgot to include how Terry rigged it to keep out those little rodents). So these pretty birds have absolutely taken over this feeder. One lands then proceeds to aggressively keep
every other bird from eating there. The only chance my Cardinals have is if they happen to get to the feeder first. I don't know what I am going to do about it, but my Cardinals will NOT be pushed out..nope.. over my dead body!! I'm going to have to make a trip to my bird seed guy.
And let me tell you, that is not the only bird battle going on in my yard.
Remember this little girl? She nested here last year and claimed this house as hers all winter long.

PhotobucketThis house is outside my kitchen window so we see a lot of what happens in this area of the yard. There is another birdhouse just like this one a short distance away. There were two pairs of sparrows making their nest in each of these houses. We watched while wrens went to the further house and actually went inside and started throwing the sparrow nest out the door. A day or so later another wren started doing the same thing to my pretty little bird's house. Man, that sparrow pair and wren pair actually FAUGHT over this house. I guess my girl won, because she and her guy mated on the roof and are building their nest now. I am so so happy she is still the resident. I look forward to seeing her every morning and evening. I lean on the counter looking out the window and talk to her. She seems to be looking back and intently listening to me tell her how pretty she is.

7 comments:

  1. I just put up a new feeder & my cardinals are in LOVE with it. We have two breeding pairs in our yard with each taking their piece. We are being invaded by Starlings. I have to share with you that last month when I was walking Fiona in the morning I saw the Starlings were going at it hot & heavy in a tree. All of a sudden out of no where comes a Robin who knocked the male Starling off the female. Then a big fight & no more Starlings around here. They are in the field behind the house, but the Cardinals & Robins fight them all the time. We also have a pair of Doves & there is a Blue Jay who sometimes comes to take a bath. Love my bird friends too.

    dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your feeder stories. We do not feed. In Florida I hear you attract more rodent than birds and they are the smoothe tail variety! We have egrets at the pond and a pair of diving black birds that I am not certain which they are. We also have herons. The storks seemed to have moved on. There are fish in the pond so that keeps the birds coming. My hawk has moved to the fields away from the house. There is was a pail of bobwhite quail in our yard two days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your feeder stories too. It's nice to know that someone else is amused by what's happening in the back yard...who needs TV??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wild, wild world. We keep wanting to tame it but I'm not sure we ever will. I've heard hummingbirds are the most viscious of the birds but it's because they need every drop of nectar they can find just to stay alive.

    Spring will be over soon and the fights will slow down won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me miss my birds...we haven't put up a feeder this year. Your little bird house is similar to one we used to have set up and had a momma, nest, babies, a really bad bad storm in which I tried to shelter the house even more against the winds and then crows! Hate the crows..they tried their best to destroy our happy bird family. I have not seen cardinals here, however in Memphis we got a male and female pair who visited us regularly. What would happen if you put up another feeder for the cardinals? Maybe they could take turns at feeders? Who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story and bird. I love how you personalize the tales.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena

    http://largepet.info

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.