Thursday, January 8, 2009

Playing with Clay..again


I have been introduced to the wonderful world of beaded art dolls and spirit dolls. I am hooked and am a proud member of the yahoo group BEADED ART DOLLS . These are the first dolls that I beaded. They are a tribute to my BFF Deb who lives in Southern California. I had a good time beading them, but I realized that if I am going to do more dolls, I am going to have to acquire some faces!

Years ago I dabbled in clay. At the time little creatures made of polymer clay were pretty popular. Classes in making clay figures seemed like a good way to spend quality time with my daughter, who was about 12 at the time.

So, off I go to find clay face molds. Well, making faces from molds went pretty well, but that certainly is not ME.


The face at the top is freeformed. That will be the direction I will go when making more faces. She will also be the face I use when creating my next beaded art doll for the "Spread the Love" challenge/swap for the Beaded Art Doll group. (I won't swap, but I am looking forward to making the doll.) This weekend I will design the body. I must remember to keep it small!

I am becoming more comfortable showing the beaded items I made, so I am sure that I will post a pic when she is done.

Thanks for visiting. Please come back.

9 comments:

  1. OMG I love the faces... I especially love the top one... I see you have one of me in high school... the one with all the blue eyeshadow up to the lids! ha ha ha....

    Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I, for one, am anxiously looking forward to seeing your beaded dolls!

    I tried to sculpt a face and failed miserably, it was SO hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great faces, Carol --
    That's one place I haven't gone -- making molded faces -- you have done a terrific job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol you sill silly girl! You do such beautiful work and you also scold me about being shy with posting my work. Then you go and say you are getting better about sharing. Well my dear, you should be! You have god-given talent and you should be posting it everywhere! Lovley clay work. I triend it myself and found it was not for me. I decided I dont like the feel of raw clay. Strange huh? Thats me! Hugs and beautiful work. I still want to make a maddux spirit doll. Im just not sure how to go about it. Any ideas to share?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dolls are the sweetest :) and the turtle and froggie are the perfect additions.

    They'll be even cuter with your hand-sculpted faces. Love the one you did already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going to try the peanut butter sandwich this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are stepping out and experimenting with faces...they can be both challenging and very revealing! Keep sharing your discoveries. Love, Camilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it would be super hard to make your own face without a mold. Hmmm, maybe I should try it afterall as I don't like a lot of the molds I see. Remember you can make a mold of the faces you make and like too so you can repeat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love those beaded dolls Carol. The clay faces are so adorable as well.:) I would love to learn how to do them.;)
    Great works!

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.