Sunday, December 14, 2008

An Upsetting Situation


This is their home. They are the neighbors directly across the street from me. They are Harold and Katie and have been married for 65 years. We have lived across the street from them for 32 years. We have been neighborly friends. You know, we look out for each other's homes, making sure no strangers are lurking around. We get their mail when they are away. We know where they hide the key.
Today is Sunday. This morning Terry was in the back garage and heard a bad sound. He finally realized that someone was being attacked by a dog. He ran through the house telling me to call 911. Katie was being attacked by a dog. She was on the ground in her drive way. The dog ran off when Terry got there. Katie's neighbor that owns the dog, let it back into her house. I called Terry on his cell phone to give him the instructions the medic on my phone line was giving me to tell him. The ambulance was one the way. When I could, I went across the street. Katie was in the dining room with her leg up. Another neighbor who came to help was compressing the wound, as I had been instructed to tell him. Katie was shaking like a leaf. I held her, telling her all would be OK and an abulance was on the way. The paramedics came. When they started asking questions, Katie's husband was slow to answer. I felt compelled to tell the paramedic standing next to me that Harold had been a General in WWII. That he was a retired chemist from a local factory. I wanted him to understand that Harold was one of the smartest people I know. But sadly what we had been noticing over the last couple of years really hit home. For lack of another description, Katie and Harold were getting old.
It broke my heart when Katie told Harold "I am so glad this didn't happen to you". They have the same love, honor and respect for each other that Terry and I have for each other. That is the exact same thought I would have had this had happened to me. That's the kind of love that keeps people in love with each other after 65 years.

15 comments:

  1. I hope poor Katie is doing ok. I hate that people allow their dogs to run loose. My neighbors kitty-corner have a completely fenced in back yard, yet let their dog run the neighborhood, doing its business in everyone elses yard instead of their own. It sounds like you and your hubby have a beautiful relationship. That doesnt surprise me knowing what I know about your love and compassion for others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is racing...and it is deeply touched by the sharing of your experience. Life is so tender. I hope that Katie is doing okay and free of pain. I am also so glad that you have found someone to share your life so deeply with...it makes me feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie came home at about 1:00 today. She must rest, have the dressing changed everyday, and is on antibiotics. She must see her personal DR tomorrow. Her daughter-in-law is out of work right now, so she will come to change the dressing and do whatever she needs to help them get along. It's hard for me to get over this happening to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible experience for you and your friend. I pray she will be alright. Did the dog have its rabies shots? Did the owner not come back out to help? Sorry about the questions, but my mind is just racing with the horror of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good questions! The police leave the dog situation to the Humane Society to investigate. The neighbor came out while Terry was helping Katie, but Katie told her to go away and stay away from her. The dog probably has had shots because this is the second biting incident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our dog was attached by pit bull just a few years ago and he was in a pretty bad state but I am glad it was him the dog attacked and not Gordon who was walking him at the time. We still ended up with some injuries as it took us about 20 mins to get this dog to let go of its grip.

    Because of the number of attacks had increased at that time, (one person was actually killed) the local council instituted a leash all the time policy and any dog attacking would be removed from its owner until assessment was done. Any dog that has attacked twice should be put down, they are a danger to society.

    Hope your neighbour is Ok now physically but mentally she will be scarred for the rest of life, no doubt. It still brings back shivers to me each time I remember the grip that dog had on my dog. A person wouldn't have stood a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a bad thing to have happen and sad that you see the aging taking place in your friends (oh, yeah, we are aging too) but it was good to see love and helping reign through it all. Keep that part in mind the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how terrible. I am wondering about the outcome. How everyone is. Did the dog ever attact before? What did the dog owner do to fix things?
    Deb in FL

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gosh, the whole situation is just simply scary. Hope Kati is doing well. I'm happy though, that she is alive! The outcome could have been so much worse. Thankfully you were there to help out. This is a great example of why we need to watch out for each other as neighbors. What kind of dog attacked her?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol:

    Good thing you and your hubby heard the noise. Hope Katie is doing better, but I bet all of you are still shook up. Keep your spirits up.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carol,
    I wanted to drop by and wish you a Merry Christmas. I hope all is well with you and yours,
    Hugs,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Holidays Carol from your friends at Birdhouse Accents

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol:

    Merry Christmas. May your holiday be filled with love and peace.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. The thing with the dog is unsettling. Wishing a good recovery for your neighbor.

    It is so good to know that there is that magical love out there and that people can live long lives within it. It's just nice to know it's real.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my worse nightmare! I was attacked by a dog when I was 2 and had my bottom lip bitten off. I have an innate fear of dogs my whole life and am very afraid of them, even though I know that most folks love them and keep them as pets. I hope Katie will recover emotionally and physically.

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.