Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Attracting Hummingbirds


I love Hummingbirds. Not only because of my love of nature, but because they are so tiny. And mighty! And beautiful. And how 'bout their ever changing color in different light? It is natural to me to love trumpet shaped flowers. I have Trumpet Vine started in the back near the new pond. I LOVE Day Lilies and any other kind of Lily. And Bearded Iris.


Having said that, this is a picture of a Rose of Sharon bush that was in our front yard when we moved in more than 25 years ago. Somehow there are starts of Rose of Sharon all over my back yard. I 'm not sure if the orginals were always there, or if I have bought more bushes over the years. But every year I have hundreds of new starts. I don't know anyone else who has Rose of Sharon that have starts coming up all over the place! I even met a woman at Walmart that was going to buy a small start. I told her if she came to my house I would give her all she wanted. She came and took a truck load. The neighbor came last week to get starts to start a hedge around a new fence they put in. Their yard is 200 x 285 so you can imagine how many she took! Anyway, I have posted pictures of the several different varieties I have around the house. Between the Rose of Sharon and Hosta flowers, you can imagine the abundance of Hummingbirds that visit. Since they are territorial, they guard their area. We sit on the front porch and watch what I call the Hummingbird Wars. Its great entertainment.


I have also posted a few pictures of the Humminbird feeders that I have near the front window. One picture shows a Hummingbird hovering at the window while I looked out. He does that often. Do you think he is as curious about me, as I am of him?



2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Carol... Hows the BJP today? I will send you pics of the buckle direct don't want to post on ms. Love, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol:
    Love the rose of sharon.
    I too love Rose of Sharons. I planted a hedge of them one year but they didn't take off and my husband dug them out. That was 20 years ago. There is a field next to my house and last year I noticed that a rose of sharon was growing, so I made hubby cut the weeds all the way back to the bush so I could see it clearly. This year it was about to bloom and the wind blew it over and broke it. All around the stump is new growth so I am hoping that it won't take 20 years before I have beautiful flowers again.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.