Sunday, June 15, 2008

My - A Disney Cartoon?




These are some of the spots our birds choose to make their nests. The pic above is of a Robin's nest on a fence post next to one of our garages. We pass this nest all the time and Ms. Robin is never concerned that we are near. But when I stopped to take a pic, she flew up to a tree nearby and watched our every move.

On the right is another Robin nest at the peak of another garage. It sits on top of a night guard lite. There is a young bird in the nest, but as I clicked this pic, he pulled his head back.

















An old mailbox, and a mexican ceramic birdhouse which was given to me by my daughter have become the home for sparrows and wrens. Since we are not trying to attract bluebirds this year, the bluebird houses have become nest boxes for jenny wrens. If you look closely, you can see one peaking his head out of the box. We have been watching the nest box selection and nest building with interest. The box sits outside the kitchen window. The wrens are very musical in the morning. Usually Robins sit on the fence and join in. Recently, I have frequently seen an oriole on the fence too.

As my husband and I watched our yard critters while having coffee on the patio this morning, he made the comment that our yard is like being in a Disney cartoon. We have all these happy little critters all eating and getting along with each other. At any given time, you will probably see rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels and a wide variety of birds all munching on something. Today was pretty enlightening. If you follow my blog, you know that I feed the squirrels peanut butter sandwiches. Well this morning Mr. Baldy was getting bits of peanut butter bread and feeding it to his baby bird. I had never seen cardinals eat bread before. The rabbits even get their share when its available. And yes, I buy large jars of peanut butter, well worth the enjoyment we get watching the feeding frenzie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are planning to leave SPAM...DON'T Bother. Comments are moderated and I don't read or post SPAM.

To my firends: Thank you for visiting. Please leave a comment.
Have a wonderful day.